Project G4 AKA QuasiGhetto

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
what if I added a vertical rib on the horizontal portion that i have left? I thought that might help.

kinda like the factory did here

jonsangel

Apr 13, 2009
Los Angeles
meh, I wouldn't worry about it. The stock frame is in pure bending since there is nothing else supporting it. Because you have a cage, the frame isn't really in bending anymore.

Reactions: Turboyota

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
got front of exhaust all tacked in. And started working to connect last dots on exhaust. Problem here again is.... how is everything gonna clear. Not sure going with a 3.5" rear shaft is gonna be a smart move. Might have to clearance cab? Don't think I can finish exhaust until i get some 3.5" tube. Thinking maybe I shuld have stuck with 3" for clearance purposes. We'll see.

Got driveshaft tube for mid shaft...and yoke. But>>>> do driveline shops really use HREW?? this is 3" .095. Came from Northern Driveline.

Cut it and popped it in. Hmmm. it is definitely angled down some. from trans to carrier bearing. Again, issue here is if I raise it.... that is just less room for 3.5 driveshaft at bump. I believe Spicer says 0-1* working angle. Guess i need to figure out how to calc that?

Reactions: Klever

jonsangel

Apr 13, 2009
Los Angeles
Can you put an angle finder on the output of the trans and then take a measurement on the shaft? I forget if you ended up with an output flange or it was still a slip yoke

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
yes, I can put it on the yoke. Depends on how truck is sitting... but I matched the angle the carrier bearing mount is on to the output angle of trans. I got it within 0.1 degrees. (like 5.3 and 5.4* down)

HOWEVER... that does not take into account the actual drop in height(or rise) in relation to being directly in line to the output of trans.... know what I mean?

Just got some tube from driveshaft shop. We'll see a lot more about clearance issues today, clarence

jonsangel

Apr 13, 2009
Los Angeles
So you're not sure if your carrier bearing is in the correct position vertically? can't you just make sure the driveshaft reads the same 5.3 degrees as the output yoke?

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
So you're not sure if your carrier bearing is in the correct position vertically? can't you just make sure the driveshaft reads the same 5.3 degrees as the output yoke?
Well, this is where I am unsure what I am doing. If you did that it would be 0* in terms of driveline angle (in horizontal plane)... and I think OK for sure. But, I am worried about cab clearance at full bump. And I would think if It was a little lower.. it would help reduce that excess angle you get at full droop. So, i was leaning towards dropping it a little if it is OK

When i was reading some documents online... it says that first shaft can be 0-1* I don't know if they mean working angle? or what. And of course, can't find that doc I was reading originally.

I haven't even had chance to measure it. I just cut that tube and slipped it in for show late at night. I will check in a minute. I just cut this one close to size too... (little too long because i cant get those yoke flanges buried easily.) Once I can get this at least attached it should help me a lot on where I have room.... then I can make some decisions.

Reactions: TotalPozerRaceing

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds