Project G4 AKA QuasiGhetto

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

84projectford

Sep 8, 2010
Phoenix Az
thats only 3/4" ish of plunge in either direction at ride height. for a 3" short d-shaft compared to links, i think you got a pretty damn good number.

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
Welded up the front section of exhaust on Friday with last bit of welding gas. I tell you what... the aluminized tubing acts really funny when welding. I probably should have cleaned off tubing better??

You can see weird stuff in puddle... hard to explain... but like you can see something is floating in it. Look kinda like liquid crystals

And the butt welds aren't very pleasing.... so blended them!

Removed and welded up the carrier bearing cross member. I was lazy and used 110V. Which works OK on smaller stuff like the exhaust tabs.

But, it lacks a little for bigger welds with more metal...

Worked on connecting final dots on the exhaust on Sunday. Once that is done... shit, all I really have left for major fab is to figure out brakes ... and mount all fiberglass...and then wire this thing.

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
^^^ trying!! Need to get this thing done.

Got one of the dots connected. Thing is... these will prove to be difficult to blend. I noticed the OD seems to change a little in the part of mandrel bend. It gets slightly smaller. Couple that with my original tube already being a smidge larger OD than the material I got on fleabay with U/J bends.... and it's a significant difference. Hmm, maybe just don't blend this?

About one lesbian penis of clearance to the drive shaft. (That's a fat finger width in case you are wondering)

And looks like it will clear links with articulation. need to confirm. If it does, on to the other side.

I don't think i realized when I started this... but it seems the driveshaft is a bit more towards pass side than I thought.

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
Got the other side all tacked in last night. Amazing how much faster the second side comes together. Now I need to pull them and weld them... then I will fit back in and tack to x-pipe and outlets with v-bands on mufflers. (This should allow some wiggle room from any warpage)

I articulated axle quite a bit... to my surprise upper links don't seem to move around laterally as much as I expected. Probably because of how far forward it is. I also re-tightened the X-pipe and rear exits... while pushing up.... and now I have over 1/4" or so of clearance for those pipes too. Don't think there will be any self Clarence-ing... sweet. Time to booger up this shit metal.

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
Dropped my shaft off to get a pro job. Hoping it is done today.

And just got a call from Fox... my shocks are done! WOOHHOOO. gonna head down and get those. Can't wait to see the new finish.

Oh yea...Noticed that after welding up that cross member.. the fricking angles seemed to change! Unless last time I didn't get it right? Pretty sure a good amount is from warpage. I can see the tube is a little warped

I got 1.7* this time on the front shaft! Damnit. I think this will still be fine? I can always just add a 1/8" plate shim if I need to. Or even 3/16. Thoughts?

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
Got my shocks back... Cerakote looks pretty good. So, couldn't resist working on shock shit.

And knew mounting the reservoirs would be tricky up front, so got started on that...but of course, space was even more limited than I anticipated... especially because I will need to be able to feed these things in on pass side when fully assembled! Had to make custom mounts for enough stand off to clear charge port on AC...

Can see the blue charge port that it barely clears. And also have clearance limits on height. Right now, if you put a hose clamp on top, it would go thru hood.

In fact, I am actually worried about the hood hitting tops of coil over mounts. I may have built those a little too high. Worst case scenario.. my hood might have to prop up a tiny bit in back? We will see. A hood rattle would be annoying as fuck if it hits. Need to get my McNeil fenders and get those mounted to really find out. Def won't be much space if any.

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds