Project G4 AKA QuasiGhetto

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
Have Jesse roll a bead on the tube for hose retention.

Brakes. Drive it around a little then try bleeding it agian. It takes a while to get all the bubbles out of a new system sometimes. If you have a lot of high spots, it can be damn near impossible.
I plan to ask them to do that. I didn't leave a ton of room, but I think it should work. Tight fit there. Guy I talked to was Harry. I guess he is one building that D44 Toyota? An extended family member, KellyR, knows them. I guess he has known them all for years and grew up with them. Hell, you might even know Kelly. Not many dudes names Kelly out there. haha

And yea on the brakes, we got more out of it by letting it settle for a day. If you check out the spots coming out of the hoon handle master, you will see they are suspect. Total high spots that do a 180 back down!! Gret place to trap some air...

84projectford

Staff member
Sep 8, 2010
Phoenix Az
How are you bleeding the brakes?

Should be

1. Press brake pedal
2. Pop open bleeder at caliper
3. Push brake pedal till it bottoms out, then pull hoon handle till it bottoms out
4. Make sure both pedal and handle are fully bottom out and close bleeder.
5. Slowly pull brake pedal up while making sure you keep handle fully pulled in. Then pump the brake pedal while holding some pressure against the hoon handle. It should start pushing the handle back out, let it do so.

Pump up with pedal only and repeat the process till you get all the air out.

I do this on my sand car with cutting brakes. Works awesome. Use to get a squishy pedal or soft cutting brake till I bled them this way.

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
that was also a variation i tried when bleeding. just gonna leave it for now. See how they work and then worry about it. Right now it's back to trying to get this thing to point where I can get it running.

So, tried to torque the balancer/crank pulley on. I read it was 37lb ft... then get it to go 140* further of bolt rotation. Well, I got it to like 100*.... and then my tool broke. Gonna have to assume it is tight enough. Had a huge cheater and swear shit was bout to blow up.... then I heard the cracking sound. lol

Got the rock screen installed.

And did lots of mechanic work you don't see... got all the fuel fittings tightened up, and intake mounted, and injectors plugged in. Then I could throw on the exhaust. Which made me realize... shit, have to move the fire extinguishers up! They would have been getting blasted a little by exhaust... and dont want to be reaching around hot exhaust too. So, those got moved up some.

Need to get the vent line figured out on cell and it will be ready to be fueled.

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
Got my fittings in yesterday afternoon... and quickly installed the Inverted flare to AN 6 adapters into the steering box... and then made some power steering lines. Hope they don't leak... although, I suppose it's not like they are any more important than the brake lines I made. LOL

The high pressure one was kind of a pain to get clocked right and tight. (Hose spins when you get tight.) Of course this is one I had to back off and re-clock a little. So, we'll see if it works.

Low pressure return. Not as likely to leak.

Just ran to lunch and got 5/8" for the barbed suction line. Not my favorite route... but couldn't come up with anything else that would work. Really wish I could hide it better.

jonsangel

Apr 13, 2009
Los Angeles
I guess I did a shitty job of documenting my steering plumbing. I have the same hose with a 90 fitting on either side. The hose assembly instructions say you're allowed to loosen it by some amount of degrees and not affect the seal so you should be fine. I forget what the amount it says but it's a decent amount.

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
Well that's good to know. I poured a quart in there.

Now, retarded mechanic question time. How full do you fill the PS fluid container?

I assume it should be above that return line fitting?

YZRacer408

Nov 30, 2011
OC california
Well that's good to know. I poured a quart in there.

Now, retarded mechanic question time. How full do you fill the PS fluid container?

I assume it should be above that return line fitting?
I normally go about a half inch or 3/4" over the return after then systems bled to ensure it doesn't drop below the return. If the fluid is lower then the return the force of the return fluid coming into the reservoir creates a ton of aeration in the reservoir. But that's just me guestimating seemed to work on my truck.

charlie_brown

OG Member
Aug 10, 2004
OC/BAJA
so i see a lot of people running their exhaust like what you have done.

what is the advantage of this? i would think the tight bends and routing it so close to the shocks/coolers and tubs would cause other issues.

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds