Project G4 AKA QuasiGhetto

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

partybarge_pilot

Uno mas Cervesa!
May 14, 2004
Easton, KS
Can you tilt it back a little? Make the bottom more parallel to the links at full bump?

For what that cost, for about the same money you could have made your own can and sent it to Harmon for a bladder. You could them make it the shape you really need.

Of course it would take 10X as long. When dealing with Harmon, it's best to give them a lot of lead time.......

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
After seeing Darren Parsons truck light up like that ... it would indeed certainly be nice for the fuel to be further away.

Can you tilt it back a little? Make the bottom more parallel to the links at full bump?
For what that cost, for about the same money you could have made your own can and sent it to Harmon for a bladder. You could them make it the shape you really need.
Of course it would take 10X as long. When dealing with Harmon, it's best to give them a lot of lead time.......
Yea, I didn't know that would even in the same budget at all. But, I can't TIG aluminum either. Correction. I can't TIG period! And never tried MIG on aluminum either. So my can would be gay.

I can indeed tilt this thing a little bit either way from where it is at.

Are you saying to keep the bottom front low.... and raise the back? (for upper link clearance at full bump)

At some point it's gonna look a little funky, but I can probably get ummmmmm ... almost an 1" out of that at the bottom back?

partybarge_pilot

Uno mas Cervesa!
May 14, 2004
Easton, KS
No, raise the front and lower the back. The back of the tank is going to clear the links by quite a bit the way it's sitting now. Tilt is so the bottom is as close to parallel with the links at full bump as you can get without making it a bitch to fill up.

Other downside to mounting that tank right there is how high it is. Higher CG, higher filler neck........ Hope your not short.

Don't get me wrong, that would be where I would mount the tank, but I would have gone a different route to try and keep it as low as possible.

Can don't need to be aluminum, you could be the next JAZ can maker and go steel.

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
^^OK. I was looking at it closer last night too... and you are on to something. That flat bottom section is actually the shorter run.I will likel have to raise that a bit. But, if I angle it down in back some.. I think that puts pickup at absolute lowest spot, and the top will match the angle of the tubes coming out of cab better.

It's going to be tricky to mount too. Has a shoebox lid. And the filler plate is right up to centerline in the top driver side corner.

But, first up is getting the truck back to roller status. I will play around with the angle of my dangle later. lol.

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
Got some wire. Holy shit. It's like $50 now at the Deeps.

Welded up those tubes the rest of the way.

Meh, still a lil wobbly there

And then I went ahead and started assembling the tabs I had my friend plasma out from DIY OffRoad. The holes weren't quite big enough all the way through. There is a slight like wedge or curve to the cut. So, had to drill stuff out... no biggie. Still way better than hand cutting tabs! haha

You can see here where the previous owner of this fine axle had his lower link mounts. They appear to be just a few degrees forward of straight down BTW...

Don't worry about my Rusty Trombone

Fits perfect. What's kinda cool about this... With the material in 3/16", you can run the overlays on inside for 2-5/8" spacing... or run them on the outside to get 3" spacing.

I have 2-5/8" spacers... So, inside they go.

Turboyota

Mar 29, 2017
Yucaipa
Looks like you are using the not-so-high misalignment spacers from ruffstuff.

I hate ruffstuff misaligns with a hot hot hate. Loose fitment in the ball, low misalignment, terrible clearance with respect to the cups that ruffstuff sells(!), and super-soft material that dents and scratches easily.

If those aren’t muffstuff misaligns, please disregard that unsolicited rant.

Truck is progressing nicely! I always enjoy your detailed photos and write-ups!

marcytech

Mega Member
Mar 16, 2011
Looks like you are using the not-so-high misalignment spacers from ruffstuff.

I hate ruffstuff misaligns with a hot hot hate. Loose fitment in the ball, low misalignment, terrible clearance with respect to the cups that ruffstuff sells(!), and super-soft material that dents and scratches easily.

If those aren’t muffstuff misaligns, please disregard that unsolicited rant.

Truck is progressing nicely! I always enjoy your detailed photos and write-ups!
I also hate them. i had a set open up and create slop in the I.D. never again

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds