Project G4 AKA QuasiGhetto

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

dsrtrcr01

Jan 31, 2005
I don't really make things level... I make them level to the vehicle. When I made bars level on my first truck they looked "off". I now make them level then step back and look at it. If they do not match the truck I then put the tubes with the lines on the vehicle. Not super far off from level but if the cab is sitting a little off then I want all the laterals to line up with the window lines and crap when behind it.

Canks

OG Member
Mar 21, 2003
San Diego (Clairemont), CA
I swear this new digital angle finder has been the death of me. I hate being off. Apparently, that shit ain't gonna matter.

Spent a good 10 minutes to get them both at 0.0. Tapping ever so gently.

Then you weld it and it goes all out the window! Shoulda stuck to old eyeball and bubble level ways... LOL
We hydro test compressed gas cylinders for work and part of the DOT's requirements is that their is no permanent expansion out to 0.0 .... the problem is modern gauges/indicators will go several decimal places past 0. In order to pass DOT inspections as well as pesky know it all shop workers we had to install the "3M Method" where we take a peice of tape and cover any decimal places past 0.0

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
^^LOL. Maybe I will use the 3m method to remove that .0

As for the level to ground, versus level to cab, versus eyeballs.... Yea, sometimes I use a combo of those.

That's when you start figuring out how far off the factory can be. I usually will try to straighten shit out if I can.

On this truck I tried to move the cab around at c-pillar area a little because it wasn't level to frame. (after I had floor/subframe tube in). Ended up ovaling out/tweaking up the hole in the cab that the floor tube exited. Oopsie. I will try to remember to show a picture.

Bertismyname

Oct 1, 2018
San Diego
Do any of us actually have a truly flat piece of concrete to build a truck on? And how many actually Check the frames of our trucks for square and level before committing to building? Then add beer.

Reactions: themoneypit

partybarge_pilot

Uno mas Cervesa!
May 14, 2004
Easton, KS
Do any of us actually have a truly flat piece of concrete to build a truck on? And how many actually Check the frames of our trucks for square and level before committing to building? Then add beer.
Mine is so far out that the feet on the back of the mill are all the way down and the fronts are all the way up. That's like 1.5" over 8'.

Screw type jackstands and a laser are your friends.

Reactions: smokeysevin

smokeysevin

is Ron Burgundy?
Dec 28, 2012
Houston
Mine is so far out that the feet on the back of the mill are all the way down and the fronts are all the way up. That's like 1.5" over 8'.

Screw type jackstands and a laser are your friends.
Shit, I would be happy if my jack stands would sit flat without rocking. The 3 leg pipe stands have been a godsend over the 4 leg ones I used to use.

Sean

Reactions: partybarge_pilot

Latest posts

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds