Project G4 AKA QuasiGhetto

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
Yea, Bert seems to be just a tad heavy on the "post reply" button. LOL

Meanwhile, I was heavy on the sucking last weekend. I just couldn't fab for some reason. Tried to make template and box in the frame rails. Brought the fail on that. Then I said.. OK fine, I will do something easy... and tried making some tabs for welding the cab to cage at a-pillar. Didn't like um either. Gave up and went drinking with girlfriend.

Cardboard template. Cardboard really sucks for this. It will lie to you because it's not sturdy enough. At this point.. I should have transferred it to 18 gauge.

Instead.. I decided to take it straight to the 1/8". Yea, that was a mistake. Immediately I knew... "That's never going to fit right." The notch is too wide. Did it all with cut off wheels.. so that was tons of fun too.

So... decided to make some use of the mistake... and reverse drew some gaps. Then transferred it to 18 gauge to make a steel template that I can trace. You can see my incredibly awesome reverse gap sharpie skillz....

And here we go to 18 gauge like I should have done the first time. Now I can actually fit this in place perfectly. THEN go make it out of 1/8"

Oh, I welded the body straight to cage at b-pillar. That was my only real semi success. Continuous welds again. Meh. Need to work on it more still in terms of aesthetics. It started trying to blow out in a couple spots. Slight gap and being on corner of sheet metal made it challenging.

Turboyota

Mar 29, 2017
Yucaipa
I think you made up for the C-notch suckage with the nice b-pillar cage-to-cab welds. Schwing!

I welded the Mobza B-Pillar in almost the exact same spot. I like welding to the bends in the factory sheet metal. It seems like the heat dissipates more quickly or something and it doesn’t have quite the tendency to blow out.

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
^^ not offending me man!! It's the internet! You have provided some great info. In fact, I need to check out some of those stores you mentioned for hardware. Ksurplus and Murphy's

I've only been to Ababa, Fastenal, and Marshall's. Oh and rip off city at Ace is not the place... because it's literally next door to my house.

I think you made up for the C-notch suckage with the nice b-pillar cage-to-cab welds. Schwing!

I welded the Mobza B-Pillar in almost the exact same spot. I like welding to the bends in the factory sheet metal. It seems like the heat dissipates more quickly or something and it doesn’t have quite the tendency to blow out.

Really!? Weird. I was kinda feeling the opposite! I felt like it was trying to blow through easier because it must have been thinner/stretched from bend?

84projectford

Sep 8, 2010
Phoenix Az
Bert was heavy on the post button because he was hard on the leaded fuel. I apologize if I offended or upset anyone. I wasn't in a good frame of mind.

But .......
dont be a pussy. this is mother fucking DR. you know we will call that shit out though :LOL:

^^ not offending me man!! It's the internet! You have provided some great info. In fact, I need to check out some of those stores you mentioned for hardware. Ksurplus and Murphy's

I've only been to Ababa, Fastenal, and Marshall's. Oh and rip off city at Ace is not the place... because it's literally next door to my house.

Really!? Weird. I was kinda feeling the opposite! I felt like it was trying to blow through easier because it must have been thinner/stretched from bend?
your Ace doesnt have "name your own price" on bolts?

Latest posts

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds