Project G4 AKA QuasiGhetto

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

Horunner

Aug 10, 2014
Yucaipa,CA
HAHAHAHA> Totally agree. Definitely FULL RETARD here.

I said it before though. No compressor, no 220V.... and no room in my garage.

Truthfully though... I could make room in the garage by selling parts off my old GSXR750(Which i need to do anyways!) Those parts would pay for the items above and then some. And I could run it off my generator if i need 220V. Damnit! Yea, no excuses really. Can I pull the I don't have time card or something??

Here is how the thought process actually went inside my head last night.

"God damn, this shit really sucks. Another damn angle grinder seems to be dying. This shit is loud as fuck, I can't see shit because I have sweated out my glasses ... my shirt, shorts, and face are covered in metal grinding dust... and there is soooo much bad shit in the air I am breathing"(The sun was setting and was illuminating the cancer storm at my work bench)

"But man, I'd have to buy a compressor and figure out where to put all this shit. And for what? I will be done with G4 soon enough. Do I reeally need one? Will I ever use it again after this truck is done?"

"Instead, I'll just snap a picture of this mess and complain about it and everyone can make fun of me for being so cheap and myopic."

And that right there is how I have kept working with cheap ass tools this entire time!! Need to break this cycle and just invest in some decent tools!
Eh I hear you. I don’t have a plasma cutter yet but every time I use my angle grinder I feel like I’m wasting money. It’s definitely one of the next larger tool items I’m buying now that I have a normal sized garage haha

Drayke

Always Baja Bound
Jan 29, 2007
Torrance
man.... i have a vertical bandsaw & a plasma cutter and I generally end up using an angle grinder anyway. The net time to finish cutting these small tabs & shit i've been doing lately is lower when compared to the other 2 "fancy" tools.

Plug in the air compressor, let it fill with air, run the plasma, cut the bracket/tab/whatever. Still have to finish grind the thing because of the slag from the chinese plasma & because I suck. Metal gets frickin' hot, still makes black boogers.

bandsaw: cutting speed is just fucking slow for 1/8" or greater. Minimal heat & doesn't generate black boogers though.

I don't have the space to leave the big tools out & ready to go so the setup time always loses for me lately.

Reactions: the bodj

yltaco05

Jan 18, 2006
Fullerton, CA
the biggest thing for me was noise, not for me, but for my son. For the plasma, my compressor is on the complete opposite side of the house than my sons room, and outside the garage, so running the plasma is fairly quiet in the garage, and silent in my sons room. Same goes for the bandsaw.

I will take a little more time to setup both tools, which really isn't much, everytime cause that actually nets me more time in the garage since Im not waking up my son. I know my situation is different, but Im sure there are people in a similar situation or will be soon. I don't even own a chop saw anymore haha

84projectford

Sep 8, 2010
Phoenix Az
i just judge it by how much time ill be in the garage. after work type situation, limited tooling get pulled because my truck and wifes truck go back in the garage every night (unless its a long term project but that stays minimal). weekend all day type deal, we are breaking out the big guns. Or lets say i just gotta make a tab or two, just use the grinder. if ill be cutting lots of plate, its worth setting everything up just for ease of cutting. compressor is nothing more than a switch the moment i walk to the garage and by time ive move all my rigs around to work on what ever it is, compressor is ready. things that need to move are all on casters. carts are all setup to just plug and play. and ive got 2 220v plugs on each side of the garage for the lathe, plasma, or welder. kinda hard to use all 3 at once by yourself lol.

ive gotten real good at tetris in my 2 car garage

Reactions: yltaco05 and SByota

toyotacole

Jul 13, 2014
This was already kind of mentioned above, but when with a plasma cutter there’s still a ton of cleanup that needs to be done after the initial cut. Between slag and lack of talent behind the torch, you will definitely still need to clean it up with either a flap disc or belt sander of some sort. Shit even after I cut plate out on my plasma table (privileged I know) I still take it over to the burr king and sand all edges smooth before welding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the bodj

1st post pg805
Mar 4, 2010
Moorpark
man.... i have a vertical bandsaw & a plasma cutter and I generally end up using an angle grinder anyway. The net time to finish cutting these small tabs & shit i've been doing lately is lower when compared to the other 2 "fancy" tools.

Plug in the air compressor, let it fill with air, run the plasma, cut the bracket/tab/whatever. Still have to finish grind the thing because of the slag from the chinese plasma & because I suck. Metal gets frickin' hot, still makes black boogers.

bandsaw: cutting speed is just fucking slow for 1/8" or greater. Minimal heat & doesn't generate black boogers though.

I don't have the space to leave the big tools out & ready to go so the setup time always loses for me lately.
Bingo! I only break out the chinese plasma cutter for cutting brackets and things off of frames. The cut quality and my very unsteady hand requires me to cut far enough outside my cut line that I can then grind it back to the proper dimension. I'm way faster with an angle grinder. I'd have that thing cut in under 10 minutes. The trick is to get the thinnest disks you can find. Something like .040". They wear out much faster if you're trying to give it the beans, but will cut way quicker with a little finesse and actually moving slower. Try your hardest to keep the disk vertical and square to your cut. The more it bounces off the sides of the cut, or chatters, the faster the disk breaks down and the slower it cuts. I use the value packs from harbor freight. I've found those to cut the best for the price, are actually quite smooth, and don't break any more than the other brands.

I had to cut through roughly 15ft of 1/4" and 3/8" cold rolled. Knocked it out in an hour or so with the angle grinder.

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
Yea, I like to use my bandsaw when it makes sense. Not usually for time.. but for cleanliness. Those templates above would waste material and take MUCH longer on bandsaw.

I thought plasma would be faster. Doesn't sound like it. Although, I bet something with lots of curves would be faster. Still seems like it would be cleaner though.

I rarely use my chop saw. Got it as a freebie... used it once or twice when i first got it. So probably wouldn't use prasma much either.

the bodj

1st post pg805
Mar 4, 2010
Moorpark
Yeah the time to clean up the slag honestly isn't worth it for me. It's a huge help when cutting off stock brackets, though.

smokeysevin

is Ron Burgundy?
Dec 28, 2012
Houston
Part of the problem is that WE don't practice/use the tools often enough so when WE do pull them out we are surprised by how shit WE are with them. If they are a pain to use or take extra setup you are going to reach for something else.

If you have the plasma setup right and actually use it you don't get as much slag and most of the time you can chip or break it off. If you have it set wrong, use it wrong, have water in the lines or whatever it cuts like a dull chisel.

Sean

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds