i don't have the luxury of extra space where I could afford to just have my plasma & bandsaw always setup & handy at all times where I could then get better with them. good points though.
Trace cutters are about free anymore. I had one at a shop I worked at. And for plate work it was great. If I had more than two parts to make. I would make a template out of quarter inch ply or whatever was there. And cut parts using either the brass axe or plasma. Grab the air hammer you use for frame rivets and knock the slag off. Then it's just a few minutes with the belt sander or grinder. Fiber disks work better than flap wheels by the way.
I did something last night. I fixed another mistake I made!
Missed a mark I was supposed to add to my driver side template and had to add a little to the top.... for the stupid formed pocket in the frame for the factory upper shock mount. My plate is ending right in the middle of the back one. Not my fav spot to stop, but oh well.
Welded this inside my house on 110V in the laundry room. The joy of having your place all to yourself. No woman to bitch at ya for doing that! LOL
Then I fine tuned the plates. Both frame notches are finally ready to be welded now. I was super low on welding gas. So I brought the bottle to work today so I can fill it. Last thing I want is to run out and fuck up those big long visible welds.
Although..after discharging the bottle before putting it in my truck. It seemed like I wasted a ton! (Was barely even registering on regulator though.)
I also started working on another mistake where I am fixing the patches for the tubes going to frame at c-pillar. I had to cut those twice because I was dumb the first time and didn't cut out enough to weld properly. So, had to weld them back into one piece. Now that the factory metal is one piece again.. I am going to slice it in half and fit it around the tubes. This work sucks. I much prefer the tubework, etc.
Welded in the frame nachos... I started off with a left handed weld. Came out OK.
Then I went on to weld the rest. It was tight in there actually. Had all sorts of comfort issues, and hand/torch hitting shit etc . I should have moved the axle out of there for sure. I was too impatient though and felt like I was running out of time... and just went for it. Not my best work.. but I'm sure it will hold and be just fine and dandy.
The trunk toobz. 20.25" of 1.75 x .095 with 30* notch. The winch will get mounted right where I am holding the plate. Now that I have moved the jack stands, I can build those tubes that go back to the bumper and mount winch...
And the tubes for shock mount plates...
Then I went and watched the blue angels at a friends house on Sat at 2pm. Consumed lots of whiskey too.
And the rust was really getting out of hand, so on Sunday I had to deal with it. Wire wheeled the shit outa the toobs.... then a quick hand job with some sand paper. Killed another "Drill Master" angle grinder. So, bought the OG Chicago Electric. It's funny how even that one that is $5 more is soo much better with having less vibration. Maybe it will last longer too.
Threw on some Rustoleum rusty metal primer. I will just remove it wherever I need to fab some new tubes. I think i need to work on patching up the cab for rainy season.
rear bumper and winch plate mount has been getting made.. no pics yet...
but, I did do this last night. Figured I really need to focus on patching holes before winter... all factory metal. Gonna weld it all and no seam sealer hopefully. Still have a little further to go. Getting dark fast after work now! Was barely able to change the oil in the generator and get this done before sunset. Might need to bust out my HF halogens soon