Project G4 AKA QuasiGhetto

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
I can guarantee you that is bad info from first hand experience.... the large ones won't fit on the small shaft.

OK, I was off a bit. Extended ones I just got for 2.5's ... go for $42 list. (I also can usually get up to 30% off.)

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
So... did some more checking last night. With the way I want my mounts to look, this has to have two bends.

Buddy has that OG 3/16" plate(beat it back flat) at his work again today...and hopefully gonna do the V2 bends on that today.

If that proves successful, we will go full production style and make the rest of them next week. This really makes me realize I need to get a press.... and make some 90* dies out of angle iron or something.

Reactions: yltaco05

mjlogan

space cadet
Feb 9, 2007
ontario ca
I built this press brake contraption a while ago out of some scrap 2x3 tubing and an afternoon. Used angle for the male part of the die and 1.75 tubes side by side for the female part. Harbor freight 20T bottle jack for power. Worked great and would have easily handled what you need.

originally built it to do the brakes on this 3/16 aluminum skidplate but it worked for more stuff afterward

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
Nothing special to see here. Got all the templates ready for most part. I will scribe out the bend lines. The V2 bends appear to hit the mark for the most part. We just need to increase the long bend a little .. I will just add 5*. So.. what I call a 40* and 25* bend. What they will call 140*/155*.

I have been dreading the final welding for cab to tube junctions. I decided to dedicate that to Sun. Sounds gay.. but I really need to get some knee pads. It just sucks welding like that. Got it all done for most part. Just need to get a couple from bottom/outside. PS. Sorry I didn't go buy Silly bronze wire. Ain't got no time for that.

I was trying all sorts of fun stuff on the seams though. buzz buzz, continuous with diff patterns, or even straight pulls. Just did normal pattern on tube as you can see here. I swear. If there is any seem sealer within a damn mile of your weld it's like it jumps right over for a porosity party. Gonna REALLY dread all the blending.

I noticed I can get a real good continuous weld as long as the gap isn't too bad... problem is....Gap wasn't so consistent. HAHAH. So yea.. had a few blow outs here and there.

Oh and welded in and rust proofed the main down tubes in preparation for shock mounts too.

Turboyota

Mar 29, 2017
Yucaipa
Lookin’ good!

Grinding all the welds on your cab closeout plates? Geez that’s a lot of work. Are you putting Line-X down or carpet or what?

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
^^^ Yea. Hate doing it, but if I get them blended good enough... after spraying with a bedliner... you will have a hard time telling they are even there.

So, yea a spray on bedliner was the plan.

I was kicking idea of carpet around yesterday when looking at the floor... thinking how much that would kill the sound... but man. I swear, these things get filled with a LOT of dirt QUICKLY.

84projectford

Sep 8, 2010
Phoenix Az
^^^ Yea. Hate doing it, but if I get them blended good enough... after spraying with a bedliner... you will have a hard time telling they are even there.

So, yea a spray on bedliner was the plan.

I was kicking idea of carpet around yesterday when looking at the floor... thinking how much that would kill the sound... but man. I swear, these things get filled with a LOT of dirt QUICKLY.
still vacuums out pretty easy. could always make the carpet come out in sections too and use some weather gaurd connectors to the cab to hold it in place. i have more dust under the trim pieces than i do the carpet lol

dsrtrcr01

Jan 31, 2005
I run carpet. so much noise dampening it is crazy. I just hit the $5 carwash down the street that has free vacuums and go to town. No issues

Reactions: Horunner

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
So... always learning. Due to the way I had cut plates.. they left some kinda wacked bends because they weren't getting in the press correctly I guess.

Oh well, i suppose you are supposed to leave it big and then cut out the radius? I dunno. But I think I am just gonna run with it. It's just a visual annoyance to me. Top plate will be funky and weld will too. I have too much time wrapped up to scrap them though. So, I will carry on.

Making a new nintendo controller...

ooops.. I mean Underlays .. so I can drill some speed holes.

I will not weld the fun holes. I just want them open with a plate behind them. This will space out the mounts to 1.75" and allow me to weld the shock mount plates flush to the tube.

From the rear...

Can you spot the deformity here?

And the side...

Latest posts

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds