Project G4 AKA QuasiGhetto

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
Nice welds
Don't worry... there are a couple not so pretty ones under there. But nobody wants to see those. Especially not me. haha. It gets tight trying to get inside bottoms .. not much room for a gun deep inside that 1.5" spacing.

ive been taking notes on that welding dude that comments on your shit. fixed some of my issues already

Nicely done on symmetry!
Jeffhorn50 guy? He tells me to go lower and slower. I'm still not comfortable with it. I seem to like the hotter and faster movement still. I should probably test it more though. More time should equal better control. But.. I still haven't got it dialed to where I would feel comfortable putting it on my truck.

84projectford

Sep 8, 2010
Phoenix Az
Don't worry... there are a couple not so pretty ones under there. But nobody wants to see those. Especially not me. haha. It gets tight trying to get inside bottoms .. not much room for a gun deep inside that 1.5" spacing.

Jeffhorn50 guy? He tells me to go lower and slower. I'm still not comfortable with it. I seem to like the hotter and faster movement still. I should probably test it more though. More time should equal better control. But.. I still haven't got it dialed to where I would feel comfortable putting it on my truck.
I went WAY down from what i use to run. after i did, i have no clue why i was running it so hot. im probably still running it "hot" in comparison to what he thinks but now i need to get a rhythm set to the slower speed. i got all giddy when i lifted the hood and saw it layed in so nice :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: smokeysevin

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
I'm worried about proper penetration with the lower voltage setting too. I should do some actual testing and weld a bunch of scrap and then cut it apart.

Here are 2x settings I would want to test that work real well on my Hobart 210MVP welder when running .030 wire on the generator (240ish volts).

3 Voltage; 32ish wire speed

vs.

4 Voltage; 42ish wire speed

Reactions: smokeysevin

84projectford

Sep 8, 2010
Phoenix Az
so 1/8" to 3/16", i did the 3/35 and the 3/16" to 3/16" i did the 4/45 all on .030 on my miller. i didnt get nearly as much HAZ on the lower heat setting but it set into the 3/16 ok from looking from the back side. the 4/45 seemed way better and i should have stuck with that all around.

mind you, i would run 6/65 normally on continuous. I think i was getting fucked up in my head because i use to trigger weld all the time (still do on thinner shit or gappy gappy shit) and thats just way too much for 3/16 lol. last couple years ive really pushed to do more continuous.

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
Did the lower mounts last night. 16x welds.

I actually welded a lot of these and previous welds with the shock in place with .030 of shims because I was worried about the warpage... and hate it when it's hard to install a shock. I think my rear coilovers are gonna be a bitch. they were too tight.

You would think I would have some fucking proper spacers I could just bolt in that are small and don't get in way and I could care less if they fucked up by sparks.. but nope. Ghetto garage here.

3 out of 4 welds on these lower bypass mounts were done with shocks installed. By the time I got to the 4th I was worried the heat might get to uniball so I frantically remove shock... and bolts and shims go everywhere in dirt. So ghetto. lol

And then started the caps since I had a little more light. Justin said this metal is great and he kept it in the shed. I think he needs to seal his shed or something. haha. I should have just went to the garage and got my cleaner metal. I probably will for the rest because it was a waste of time cleaning it.

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
so 1/8" to 3/16", i did the 3/35 and the 3/16" to 3/16" i did the 4/45 all on .030 on my miller. i didnt get nearly as much HAZ on the lower heat setting but it set into the 3/16 ok from looking from the back side. the 4/45 seemed way better and i should have stuck with that all around.

mind you, i would run 6/65 normally on continuous. I think i was getting fucked up in my head because i use to trigger weld all the time (still do on thinner shit or gappy gappy shit) and thats just way too much for 3/16 lol. last couple years ive really pushed to do more continuous.
Yea, I always weld continuous. The only time I don't... is the thin sheet metal where I can't. (because of blow outs and warpage)

6 would be GNARLY!! Even 5 is pretty stout. I almost went to 5 for the coil over tabs on beam ends above because that billet is thiccc and sucks the heat out. It's just too much for the 3/16 though. (I actually tacked them on 5 and noticed it was cutting in too much.) Kinda tricky when you try to weld a small piece of 3/16 to an almost 1" thick billet. I try to focus the arc on the billet more and whip over to the 3/16

jonsangel

Apr 13, 2009
Los Angeles
Maybe I should try 0.030 wire. I use 0.035 and can't get the ripples out of my welds for the life of me.

For my upper shock mounts I just used the shock misalignments and a washer. It's the perfect spacing and you don't need the whole shock in there. Just have to be careful about getting splatter on the them.

Have you tried using an abrasive disc? They work awesome for rust and paint.

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
Maybe I should try 0.030 wire. I use 0.035 and can't get the ripples out of my welds for the life of me.

For my upper shock mounts I just used the shock misalignments and a washer. It's the perfect spacing and you don't need the whole shock in there. Just have to be careful about getting splatter on the them.

Have you tried using an abrasive disc? They work awesome for rust and paint.
I think I might have one of those weird discs somewhere. I usually use the knotty wire wheel though.... and shoot wires into my belly. LOL

Def try the.030. I noticed my old welder seemed to run better on .025 for most stuff actually!!

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds