Project G4 AKA QuasiGhetto

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
Did the other 2x caps and went ahead and glued them in.

These smaller corner edges are always the hardest for me to weld. I get like "spill over"... where it is higher than material on one side. I feel like I have to go real fast on these... But when I go down a setting (2; 28 versus 3; 32) it doesn't seem to penetrate enough really.

These ones are pretty good for me.

Had a couple issues on other side. Got some porosity in 2x sections for some reason. Had to grind it out and redo a little and got a little spill over. Hopefully I can get other caps done tonight. Then finish lowers... and get started on bumps this weekend

the bodj

1st post pg805
Mar 4, 2010
Moorpark
I agree. It's especially hard with thinner material. 3/16 and thicker isn't too bad. I tend to leave my voltage on these and lower my wire feed speed a little.

Reactions: FasterNU

Jester9

The Jester's Workshop
Apr 1, 2014
Central Texas
Did the other 2x caps and went ahead and glued them in.

These smaller corner edges are always the hardest for me to weld. I get like "spill over"... where it is higher than material on one side. I feel like I have to go real fast on these... But when I go down a setting (2; 28 versus 3; 32) it doesn't seem to penetrate enough really.

These ones are pretty good for me.

Had a couple issues on other side. Got some porosity in 2x sections for some reason. Had to grind it out and redo a little and got a little spill over. Hopefully I can get other caps done tonight. Then finish lowers... and get started on bumps this weekend
I just did some similar welds on 10 gauge on my beams and had to turn my voltage down quite a bit (of course the first beam sucked cuz I burned it hot) the coloration of your weld itself and the HAZ look very similar to me burning it hot. My second beam came out way cleaner with the lower voltage and I am confident I got good penitration

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

yltaco05

Jan 18, 2006
Fullerton, CA
Finally got caught up on the thread. Been a few crazy weeks back to work after a two week vacation in Parker. Solid progress and awesome work man! But HOW DARE YOU SHIT ON ROADRAPERS! Tell Chrissy or Christi to step it up. And throw a wink to Alaura for good measure. And make sure you get a couple for the road!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 96f-u250

smokeysevin

is Ron Burgundy?
Dec 28, 2012
Houston
mig weld aesthetics for under 1/4" i always run .25, and .030 for 1/4.

.035 for Flux and dual shield.
I am a shit welder so take this for what its worth (not much)

0.030 flux seems to be more prone to feed issues with my welder even with the proper drive roll size and type.
0.035 flux tends to blow out on thinner stuff.

The Lincoln wire feeds way better than the Hobart shit as well. I have not run any other brand mp-211. I did try some expensive stainless flux core the other day but I didn't play with it enough to make any pretty welds. It was exhaust work so I was mostly worried about burning through.

Sean

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
Aaron, is your voltage variable? as in, can you go 2.5 or 2.75 on voltage vs just 2 or 3? that might be your limitation.
The Hobarts I have had are not fully variable. This one I have now has 7 heat selections when on 240V.

My old one, Hobart 180, had only 4. I think that's why for a given material thickness or joint.... it seemed like some were better on .025. and some were better on .030.

The welder I have now 210MVP seems to do pretty well with .030 on it all. Probably because of more selections. I think Millers have the infinite adjustments.

Finally got caught up on the thread. Been a few crazy weeks back to work after a two week vacation in Parker. Solid progress and awesome work man! But HOW DARE YOU SHIT ON ROADRAPERS! Tell Chrissy or Christi to step it up. And throw a wink to Alaura for good measure. And make sure you get a couple for the road!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LOL. Oh I'm still gonna get one. Just need to be buzzed first I think. haha

Reactions: yltaco05

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds