Project G4 AKA QuasiGhetto

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
Manual brakes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What's next manual steering? And back to a carb? And back to leaf springs? hahaha. I feel like manual brakes is going backwards. But, if the relocator doesn't work... i may be forced down that road back in time. Maybe I will run into Marty McFly there too.

And check this out. I got something done. Removable x-member is in now. Beams are back on. Black Beams matter! I suppose I have pretty much ran out of things to do... and my hubs etc are at Burleson...so I guess I need to start working on getting the motor in.

JustNCase

Mar 15, 2013
San Diego
What's next manual steering? And back to a carb? And back to leaf springs? hahaha. I feel like manual brakes is going backwards. But, if the relocator doesn't work... i may be forced down that road back in time. Maybe I will run into Marty McFly there too.

And check this out. I got something done. Removable x-member is in now. Beams are back on. Black Beams matter! I suppose I have pretty much ran out of things to do... and my hubs etc are at Burleson...so I guess I need to start working on getting the motor in.

Bout time

maxwell279

Expert Member
Jan 2, 2012
Lakeside, CA
www.instagram.com
Simply steering the pot . I wouldn’t mind having a booster. Just really hard to fit with the shock package.

I did see a quite slick setup a guy had on a Chevy using a booster behind the cab.

But yeah let’s go backwards and saw all those frame rails

charlie_brown

OG Member
Aug 10, 2004
OC/BAJA
Simply steering the pot . I wouldn’t mind having a booster. Just really hard to fit with the shock package.

I did see a quite slick setup a guy had on a Chevy using a booster behind the cab.

But yeah let’s go backwards and saw all those frame rails
there are some "hotrod" brake booster kits that bolt up under the dash. a buddy building a rat rod is using one.

i like the way my relocation has come out.

Reactions: maxwell279

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
So uhhh.. rookie swap question... what angle should motor and trans be at? And relative to what?

I read around 3*... but is that 3* when the center frame rails are level??

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
No more than 7 degrees total driveline angle
I think that's right where it is at now.... but things aren't really working as is. Couple days of disappointment for sure.

Installed some more bird shit under the dash on Friday night. These corners are a bitch to seal. And the seam sealer everywhere is horrific to weld near.

Now it was no more time for excuses. Motor/trans time!
Gotta give a shout out to JustN for helping so much. I have no clue how anyone would be able to do this without a helper.... and even then you still need like 15 ratchet straps to move this around... and a second set of eyes.

So, here's the picto story of my depressing weekend. LOL. First step, go borrow picker. Then lift engine up in garage... pull dain plug on motor. Water comes out.. awesome! Instantly get paranoid you threw away a bunch of money. Then oil comes out. Oil seems good. JustN says calm down.. it's from being pressure washed. Remember I found water in one of the cylinders... (side question from non mechanic guy. Is it OK to put WD-40 or something directly in the combustion chamber? Never liked the idea of oil/above rings.. I always assembled my dirt bike motors dry on top. But, anything has to be better than water.)

Decided to turn over motor. It was a little stuck ... but didn't take too much force to break free. Once it broke free it seemed to spin easy. Drained trans and it was fine. Stuck the manifolds on ... in hopes of things magically sliding in. lol.

Was nice to see this there... maybe it really is low mileage??

After removing fan and oil cooler? lines... It was time to start the real work and walk the motor/trans down my sidewalk and into the back yard. Of course... it just had to rain the night before for no fucking reason. I already planned for off-roading problems with the picker on the road to the Tent Mahal and had picked up 2x sheets of plywood. Worked pretty damn good actually! I mean better than Mike and the African engineered truck picker when we pulled the V6! HAHAH good times.

Tried to go up and over for fun, but quickly realized the 1.5 ton setting we used for transport stability reasons didn't have enough boom out. Time to repick.

Did I mention JustN has been doing this with a freshly broken right toe... and an infection on his left knee? Bet this experience was great for that.

Shortly after re-picking, we thought the removable X was going to come in handy

Notice I said removable. We'll see if it can also be installed... because it needed to be beat out.

Next realization was that there STILL was not adequate clearance from tube to engine x-member. Started crunching the sensor on top back of intake? What is that thing anyways? Seems like vacuum sensor?? And let me tell you what.. that cocktail you see sitting there was really hitting the spot at this point. LOL

Anwyho ... Off with the intake! Intake was super easy to get off. Didn't really want to learn this shit about the engine.. but digging the simplicity so far.

Once the intake was off... had to break out the vacuum and clean all that shit and tape off ports.

Then we ran into the next issue. This stupid bracket. Not sure what it's for... besides to protect fuel rail?? But it wasn't gonna let us get the motor in. This is where we had to call it quits. It was late... and I was getting frustated. We just put the motor back up on oil pan to rest for the night.

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds