Project G4 AKA QuasiGhetto

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
^^yea, I'm not even sure the firewall is symmetrical. Seems further forward on driver side. Hmm, that might not be a bad idea about the pump. I think that is the middle spacing pump? (I am still researching this stuff.)

I haven't done measurements on the crank and tail shaft output together... good tip. I was just centering tail shaft by eye so far. Because clearly... we aren't that close to done yet. haha.

So, after speaking to a friend of 04yzfkid... I learned quite a bit. And for everyone else.. ICT billet has some really good information and specs.

Here is the direction I am thinking at the moment. I will remove the front accessories and push the motor back so it is real close to firewall. I will also lower the front of the engine to get the angle a little better. Right now it is 7.2* angled down in back relative to the door sill.

If this doesn't clear the oil pan... I will look at the options. It appears the Holley 302-1 would indeed save me about 1.5". And I have a hunch that after moving it back 2" or so... that might just be enough. Here are some dimensions from ICT site. I noticed that depending what site you look at.. the 302-1 has slightly different measurements. But they all seem to show about 1.5" difference from the factory pan. Must be the Brenthel tape measures out there? LOL

Stock LQ4 oil pan from 99-07

and here are the specs on the 302-1

It looks like there is a knock off of it available too on FleaBay... but I am a little wary

Once I have the motor set, I will worry about the other issues. It looks like I will need to cut some access holes for the bell housing bolts so I can do a trans removal.

Then I will worry about PS pump, water pump, alternator, and AC brackets.

It also looks like I will need to swap to an LS1 intake so I don't have to hack into the cowl area that I almost have completely sealed now. I think that will require a different water pump.. and perhaps a spacer. So yea, in the meantime... this is what I have done after work while in this daily motor research phase...

partybarge_pilot

Uno mas Cervesa!
May 14, 2004
Easton, KS
Give in and hack the firewall. You don't need much but it will make a huge difference. Put the balancer in the same spot as the original motors. You will need the room for the radiator and fan. I have put flanges on the WP pulleys for mechanical fans. You will need all the cooling you can get.

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
I was going to do electric fans. Never really wanted to, but figured I had no chance otherwise.

FYI:
Looking at the size of the balancers... if I switch everything over to the smallest stuff.... It looks like it would get me about 1.56" of space in front (at least on the balancer) compared to truck balancer

the mid size looks to save .71" of space.

84projectford

Sep 8, 2010
Phoenix Az
why do you say that?
just all around more room to work with things in the engine area. if you wanted a/c, more room for all the junk that goes with. gets the weight back farther. You can now run an mechanical fan IF you want to which means you might be able to run a LS truck rad in there as long as its not too tall. and the always popular option of running a turbo/intercooler up there down the road 😁

Reactions: mikey09120

marcytech

Mega Member
Mar 16, 2011
the more weight you got forward of the beams the harder your suspension will have to work to keep the front "light". more room for a radiator and fans more room to work on stuff. if it goes far enough you could use that removable cross member you made for your rad arm mounts as a trans mount also and not have to make two

Reactions: Jester9

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
just all around more room to work with things in the engine area. if you wanted a/c, more room for all the junk that goes with. gets the weight back farther. You can now run an mechanical fan IF you want to which means you might be able to run a LS truck rad in there as long as its not too tall. and the always popular option of running a turbo/intercooler up there down the road 😁
hold on meow ... how is tucking a motor under and inside some sheet metal going to make it easier to work on? LOL

Now, we all know the weight DRgument. Of course DR has to go there! But DR also frowns upon my stock frame rail in the back, the 1/2 wheel studs in 2ghetto, etc. And probably frowns on me wanting to use catalytic converters

To me, the space for the radiator and intake shit, etc are the better argument.

We'll see what happens though. I will analyze it to death and probably still go with my gut... which is to push it all the way to the firewall, but not in it.

PS:
I took a look at how far forward the stock V6 is... it was surprising.

marcytech

Mega Member
Mar 16, 2011
pushing it all the way into the firewall isnt a bad idea as long as the bell housing bolts are easy to get to. itd suck to have to pull the whole motor and trans when you blow a transmission. talk about adding insult to injury

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds