Project: Mobza--Pretending we are 17 again

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

Motiracer38

Super Senior Member
Feb 14, 2006
Santa Clarita
3m makes safety glasses with a foam gasket that snugs against you cheeks. Our work made us wear them and they were a horrible sweat fogged hazard but they work awesome when cutting or grinding. Even makes cutting wood outside in the wind tolerable. I don't grab a grinder or lay under a truck looking for pixie dust without them anymore.

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/~/3M-Virtua-CCS-Protective-Eyewear-11872-00000-20-with-Foam-Gasket-CLEAR-Anti-Fog-Lens-20-EA-Case/?N=5002385+3294733407&rt=rud

Reactions: Ryan Jubera

Turboyota

Mar 29, 2017
Yucaipa
3m makes safety glasses with a foam gasket that snugs against you cheeks. Our work made us wear them and they were a horrible sweat fogged hazard but they work awesome when cutting or grinding. Even makes cutting wood outside in the wind tolerable. I don't grab a grinder or lay under a truck looking for pixie dust without them anymore.

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/~/3M-Virtua-CCS-Protective-Eyewear-11872-00000-20-with-Foam-Gasket-CLEAR-Anti-Fog-Lens-20-EA-Case/?N=5002385+3294733407&rt=rud
Thanks Brian. I procured some similar fog catchers recently:

Turboyota

Mar 29, 2017
Yucaipa
(Temporary) Shock mounts coming together.

Drilled through both walls of the tube first with 13/64”, then opened up to 1/4”. Installed a 1/4” transfer punch as the holesaw pilot to reduce wandering.

Machined some slugs from 1.0x0.250” wall 4130 tube. Brent used the lathe to make one of those while I was in the house tending to the baby—Nicely done.

Nice rusty allthread to hold alignment during welding:

Not sure how I am going to double shear the mounts yet, but I have a couple options that will look reasonably clean and be easily removed when links happen.

oorracing

<span style="color: orange;">DR Mod</span>
Jan 15, 2006
Long Beach Ca
Shoulda machined a step into the bung so the top caps eyelet slid onto it, thus eliminating one misalignment spacer and also removing the bolt from shear.
Looks good, i like the floating backhalf for future linked awesomeness lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Turboyota

Turboyota

Mar 29, 2017
Yucaipa
Shoulda machined a step into the bung so the top caps eyelet slid onto it, thus eliminating one misalignment spacer and also removing the bolt from shear.
Looks good, i like the floating backhalf for future linked awesomeness lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks Kevin!

Machining a step into the bung would have been tidy! It only works for single shear, though.

I can always weld the inboard misalignment spacer to the bung with similar results if I decide to leave the shock mounts single shear.

With regards to the “Floating Backhalf”—the more I look at it, the more I love the idea! It is going to drastically reduce the work required to link the truck someday, whilst retaining usability during the parts collection phase. And it looks cool.

Did a quick cantilever beam calc, and the shock mount bung is good for 2300lbs+ without having to worry about material yield...

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds