Project: "Turboyota" (Tur-BRO-yota would probably be more accurate)

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

Turboyota

Mar 29, 2017
Yucaipa
Tasty!!!
64.6 lbs

Thanks Willis and Logan for trading me 2X AR23 15x7 wheels for 2X Coors Light tallboys at the swapmeet.

Now I need two more 5on5.5 AR23’s or lookalikes.

I am retarded, and a somewhat bummed. The aforementioned Willis/Logan swapmeet AR23’s that I was all fucking excited about are 5on135 bolt pattern NOT 5on5.5. What a difference 4.7millimeters makes...

I should have fucking checked the wheel bolt pattern:
1. Before drunkenly trading them for CL tallboys at the swapmeet
-And-
2. Before I paid for the tire disposal of the shittified paddles and mounting of the 35x10.5 Class10 BFGs. Gosh darn Fiddlesticks!

I still need 4X 15x7 5on5.5 wheels. Andrew has me worried about the strength of Outlaw II’s now...

AR23’s are my favorite old school wheel followed closely by the Outlaw II. I would be fine with Factory Ford Alcoas as well. Were those offered in a 15x7? If only I had access to the world’s information at my thumbtips...

In happier news, Mobza Brent and I cycled the front end a bunch of times yesterday and got the tie rod length change to around 1/16” over the bumped/strapped 17” of travel. I will probably call that good enough.

Scrub radius = 0.6” (seems legit—anybody have thoughts on this??)
Kingpin inclination = 10 degrees
Caster = 8 degrees
Inner tierod heim = 3/4”
Outer tierod heim = 7/8”

Reactions: SByota

mounty71

Mega Member
Oct 18, 2007
San Francisco
They’re not very common, but there is a 5-spoke Alcoa wheel also that could be an option if you like the AR-23s. I also prefer the look of Outlaw IIs, but for the price, strength, and how lightweight the Alcoas are, you can’t really beat them, and they still look really good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Turboyota

Turboyota

Mar 29, 2017
Yucaipa
What does that 1/16" of tire rod length change translate to in toe change at the tire?
Quoted from the Mobza thread; I presume the question was meant for this thread.

0.062” on the tierod equates to approximately 0.300” ~ish at the tire. Most if which happens in the last couple inches of bump travel.

Turboyota

Mar 29, 2017
Yucaipa
They’re not very common, but there is a 5-spoke Alcoa wheel also that could be an option if you like the AR-23s. I also prefer the look of Outlaw IIs, but for the price, strength, and how lightweight the Alcoas are, you can’t really beat them, and they still look really good.
I can’t find any decent old school wheels on RDC, craigslist, offerup, or ebay. There are some 15x8 AR172 8-hole Baja-style beadlocks on RDC, but I want 7” width because skinny BFGs.

I could go with plan M and see if Stevyboy can hook up some Methods...

oorracing

<span style="color: orange;">DR Mod</span>
Jan 15, 2006
Long Beach Ca
Even on a 7.5” wide wheel (Alcoa) the 35” BFG buggy tires look silly. Look into trailer wheels and see if anyone makes a 15x6 in 5x5.5 pattern or possible have them redrilled? Or have some wide 5 adapters machined and run some buggy wheels lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ucd baja

#1 Pig Killer
Dec 16, 2008
Plainfield, CA
I can’t find any decent old school wheels on RDC, craigslist, offerup, or ebay. There are some 15x8 AR172 8-hole Baja-style beadlocks on RDC, but I want 7” width because skinny BFGs.

I could go with plan M and see if Stevyboy can hook up some Methods...

Methods would really put the "bro" in "Tur-Bro-Yota" and I like methods on newer trucks but I dnt think they will go with the theme you got going on w/ that truck. I just looked at the American racing website and they don't list AR23's 7" wide w/ your bolt pattern, narrowest you can go is 8".....

Reactions: Horunner

Turboyota

Mar 29, 2017
Yucaipa
Methods would really put the "bro" in "Tur-Bro-Yota" and I like methods on newer trucks but I dnt think they will go with the theme you got going on w/ that truck. I just looked at the American racing website and they don't list AR23's 7" wide w/ your bolt pattern, narrowest you can go is 8".....
^^^That is what I have deduced as well.

Think I am gonna rock Outlaw II’s or Alcoas if I can find some.

Last edited:
Reactions: ucd baja

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds