Project: "Turboyota" (Tur-BRO-yota would probably be more accurate)

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

Bertismyname

Oct 1, 2018
San Diego
Surface plates are the shizzznit. Not too pricey to buy used at auction. Big money for brand new. But yes if you want accurate results use a surface plate. High five on accuracy.

Turboyota

Mar 29, 2017
Yucaipa
Materials: 6-6 Nylon, Delrin, 1.125X0.188W 4130 tube
Hours: 2
Attire: Flip flops & Dickies shorts. Bro.
Drinks: 2X Keystone Ice

Machined the steel sleeves for the rear lower arm pivots, then machined a couple Delrin bushings. Used the sleeves to hold the Delrin in the chuck.

Upon completion of the first two bushings, I decided that I was going to conduct a durability experiment.

I made the other two bushings from 6-6 Nylon. I will install them in the other arm and see which bushings last longer.

Bored 1.121”

Machined OD to 1.4995”

Done.

Horunner

Aug 10, 2014
Yucaipa,CA
6/6 will probably last longer but may squeak. Delrin will have less friction and not squeak because it’s “naturally” lubricious.

Turboyota

Mar 29, 2017
Yucaipa
Materials: 5/16” 4130 plate, 1/4” template plywood
Tools: bandsaw, 4.5 grinder, 1” drum sander, drill press, tig welder, large tap wrench, 3/4-16 tap
Tig welding for 3 hours in a tanktop: check
UV burns on my chest and arms: check
Should I fucking know better? Yes
Temperature in my uninsulated shop: 96F
Beers? Oh hell yes.

Finished the upper arms. When I pounded those ears down to wrap onto the tubes they both cracked at the bend. Fuckin’ weird—especially because it was obviously really hot from welding. I have no idea what material it was—it was a random piece of 3/4x1/8” bar that was sitting around. It welded fine though...

Full closeout above the spindle uniball and below what will be bump strike area. Having a c-section there worries me.

Filled the voids where the hex bungs fit into the square tube. I don’t totally hate it.

Front wrap on the other arm:

You can see where I ground out and welded the cracks in the front wrap:

Only had to run a 3/4-16 tap through one of the bungs:

Speedway Engineering makes some pretty badass rotor hats. They can be flipped front to back and the rotors can be mounted on either side and flipped over resulting in a grand total of 8 different offsets from the hub face. Here are three combos:

Settled on an offset that cleared the inside of the rim, the brake line fitting and the lower control arm at full steer.

Made a lil template out of wood:

Copied that little gem onto 5/16” chromo plate:

Tig tacked them together, drilled 25/64” through and tried to rigid tap on my drill press. It doesn’t get very far in there...

Used a countersink to add a nice chamfer to the holes:

Oh yeah

Last edited:

96f-u250

Sep 27, 2013
VenTurA 805!
Lolz I had that same shirt! Mabels whore house where the customer comes first! 😂and why are you complaining about an indoor shop tan, if anyone needs one its probably you!

Reactions: Turboyota

themoneypit

Jul 30, 2018
Missouri
I feel like everybody goes full lobster at least once when learning to weld. After that, it's deciding between cancer and comfort. At least for my dumb ass, comfort wins that argument more often than it should.

Reactions: smokeysevin

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds