Project: "Turboyota" (Tur-BRO-yota would probably be more accurate)

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

Turboyota

Mar 29, 2017
Yucaipa
•Time: 3.5 hours (4:30AM to 8:00AM—My body is programmed to wake up at 3:30AM, and I can’t seem to sleep in no matter what the fuck I do...)
•Tools: Dinosaur Lincoln Idealarc 300 TIG welder, Sioux 90deg air grinder, 2” Scotchbrite roloc discs, Irwin Quick-Grip clamps, 12” Vise Grip welders clamp.
•1/16” Silicon Bronze Rods: 8
•Tungsten dips: 16
•Fuck yelled: 16
•TIG yoga poses: 4 (no pics, sorry)
•Yard pisses: 4
•Drinks: 6 cups of Coffee, 6 Coors Lights. Thats right, esteemed colleagues, I had 6 beers before 8AM.

Clamped up ready for tacktacktack-a-roos:

Welded everything that had zero gappage, then formed the aft section with a combination of hammering with a ball peen hammer and oak block and then clamping with a long-reach vise grip clamp.

Same process on the driver’s side. This side was more difficult for me for some reason. Cramped quarters and leaning backward into the truck with the small of my back scorpioned over the seat made me unsteady. Lots of tungsten dips on this side...

Done. I hate that fucking sunroof. Fuck.

Than I put the godforsaken dash back in.

Mostly.

4 hours into that thus far. I moved the fuse box by the driver’s left foot, and I am mostly done moving the computer that’s above the passenger’s feet. I had to do a bunch of trimming the clear the new cage-to-body tie-in plates. Fitment is still fairly shitty. The right side wasn’t fit yet in the only pic I took during that miserable shittiness:

Turboyota

Mar 29, 2017
Yucaipa
Still waking up between 3 and 4AM, so I’m putting in a couple hours every morning before I start my WFH day.

New taillights and corner markers:

Dash, carpet, and door moldings are tuned up and complete. I don’t enjoy the component installation stuff, detailing, or reassembly.

I like trading work with FatMobzaBrent—I do the metal fabrication, machining, and composites, and he does the mechanic work, paint, and attends to the finer details. I miss you, buddy.

A-pillars and windshield /\ need to be painted before the windshield goes back in.

My kids have kept busy during the quarantine so far. Video games not-to-exceed 60min/day.

Garden box:

Fruit tree terraces on one of my hillsides:

Stairs with 37 pieces of flair:

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
Fucking Turdblo is getting shit done!!! Fucking tigload of welding. How bad is welding to that factory yota metal compared to Ranger metal. Looks like it's pretty similar.

Reactions: Turboyota

Turboyota

Mar 29, 2017
Yucaipa
Fucking Turdblo is getting shit done!!! Fucking tigload of welding. How bad is welding to that factory yota metal compared to Ranger metal. Looks like it's pretty similar.
Toyota sheetmetal is like a meth-head hooker: thin, pitted, and dirty as fuck.

All the sheetmetal I was welding was 0.030”. I used around 70-80 amps when welding the 0.050” gussets to the 0.095” wall tubes, and like 40-50 amps when welding the 0.050” gussets to the 0.030” cab sheetmetal.

Last edited:

bajaf250

Mar 23, 2016
High Desert, Ca
Rouse , you are a changed man. Glove box in, veggie garden started and you are planting tree. Fuck yes!!

How many of you grow your own fruit and veggies or have a farm? Sorry the pictures are rotated 90 degrees but I have no clue how to fix that because I did not take them that way.

Thanks newfy for the green house supplies

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Reactions: A.J. and Turboyota

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds