Project: "Turboyota" (Tur-BRO-yota would probably be more accurate)

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

partybarge_pilot

Uno mas Cervesa!
May 14, 2004
Boringsville
The polish marks from the outer race says it's doing the funky chicken. Needs solid spacers to make up for the out of spec OD.

How thick is the face plate on that? 1/2"?

Turboyota

Mar 29, 2017
Yucaipa
The polish marks from the outer race says it's doing the funky chicken. Needs solid spacers to make up for the out of spec OD.

How thick is the face plate on that? 1/2"?
Should I make an aluminum slug for inside the spindle snout, or are you suggesting that I make a solid crush sleeve for. Ethernet the bearings?

Faceplate is 1/2” Blanchard ground mystery steel.

partybarge_pilot

Uno mas Cervesa!
May 14, 2004
Boringsville
Crush sleeve.

Also, how much room between the face plate and the hub? Enough to press a chamfered ring over the weld and weld it on spreading out the load?

Turboyota

Mar 29, 2017
Yucaipa
Crush sleeve.

Also, how much room between the face plate and the hub? Enough to press a chamfered ring over the weld and weld it on spreading out the load?
Not enough room for that, unfortunately. I ground it out much deeper that the original chamfer I put when I first made the spindles.

I will take the other side apart for inspection, but I think all the cracking and tweaking was a result of smashing something huge on the drivers side in the dust behind mikey, Bruce, Scotty and Elliot.

85yota

TT Motorsports
Nov 18, 2004
Santa Maria, CA
www.tt-motorsports.com
What is the best way to measure for a solid crush sleeve?
I have made some by putting dykem on the snout pressing bearing tight by hand and scratching a line in it to imagine thats where outer bearing sits. Then remove it all and put inner bearing and hold outer bearing at that scratch and measure between them. Then cut and it will be a little long. Then machine them down until its right bearing preload. To get close on first shot I assemble and use dial indicator to measure hub slop in/out and if it measures 50 thou I machine that then sneak up on the bearing preload. Otherwise I've done 10 thou at a time and it takes a while

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Turboyota

Mar 29, 2017
Yucaipa
Passenger side is unscathed. I’m gonna pack the bearings with grease and put this shit back together.

Annnnd I made a new tierod yesterday.

New inner 3/4LH FK Heim, almost new 7/8RH FK heim on the outer. 1.5x0.120” 4130 with 1.25x0.120” 4130 on the inner portion. 12 total rosette welds. Kartek doesn’t sell hex bungs, so I’m going to end up grabbing this tierod with a pipe wrench like a fucking Neanderthal.

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds