Project: "Turboyota" (Tur-BRO-yota would probably be more accurate)

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

the bodj

1st post pg805
Mar 4, 2010
Moorpark
What diameter though? Makes a huge difference in critical speed.

Also, how long is your DS compared to the lower links?
dont remember what Willie at Driveshaft Pros in Oxnard said, but I think 4” diameter. Lowers are 49” long. Can’t remember my plunge number right now, but it’s not bad

nice work on straightening out the housing, Ryan!

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
I need someone to show/teach me how to do this.

I imagine... heat it up real good(how hot?).... then apply wet rag to side you want to contract?

dsrtrcr01

Booshie Cat
Jan 31, 2005
Thermal bending doesn't require gravity or force. Uses thermal expansion of the metal to do the magic things you want it to do. It's magic.
So why wouldn't the metal go back to the same size/ shape once cool? I know it expands and contracts with heat but I would think it would go back to the same size shape as before. Unless you introduce something to change that like force or as faster said water.

mikey09120

Michael Gonzalez
Dec 5, 2009
Camarillo, CA
www.facebook.com

GahnRacing

Bonsai Trimmer
Oct 5, 2012
California
So why wouldn't the metal go back to the same size/ shape once cool? I know it expands and contracts with heat but I would think it would go back to the same size shape as before. Unless you introduce something to change that like force or as faster said water.
I’m no thermal bendologist, but I’d imagine that if the opposite side of said tube had no heat applied, the side that had heat would expand then contract to a smaller measurement than before heat was applied. The opposite side of the tube would stay constant. (This thought was without reading communist Mikey’s quick link)

Last edited:

the bodj

1st post pg805
Mar 4, 2010
Moorpark
Bingo. Basically, since the rest of the diameter of the tube is still cool, it does a good job keeping the heated part of tube from expanding much. In its expansion, it doesn’t provide much force to the cold parts, so it doesn’t bend it upwards. However, when it cools, the contracting force is incredibly strong - strong enough to pull the cold top side down

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds