Project Zoom Zoom

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

UmmYeahItsMe147

Mar 2, 2006
Big Bear Lake, CA
Never really felt like my truck was worth a build thread since I haven't really done much to it besides get it running. But since I have big build plans for it, figured I'd finally put a thread together.

Long story short, I traveled around a bit, came back, and needed a truck. A good friend of mine had a '98 Mazda b2500 that was having some serious smog issues for a long time. Eventually he gave up trying to get it registered and parked it. Since I was looking for something cheap that had build potential, I figured this truck was the perfect candidate. At least I knew the history of the truck and it wasn't some random shit box off Craigslist. He didn't want to sell it to me because he felt so bad about the engine problems, haha, but we worked out a deal and I took it for a test drive.

It ran. Like shit. But it ran.

Truck came with a 5.5 kit, lift shackles out back, sat on 33/12.5's, had a bumper up front with some Hella 4k halogens, and one hell of a loud power steering pump. Not a bad start.

First thing's first I started going through the whole truck, cleaned it up, and picked up little odds and ends. After all, it was my new dd and I'm a bit of a clean freak perfectionist.

The first thing my niece did when she saw my new truck was hop in it and told me she wanted to drive it.

So like the good uncle that I am, I let her sit on my lap and steer, and shift. Then we went to go aim the Hella's.

After I got the truck all cleaned up and good to go, that's when the relentless battle with Ford began.

Turboyota

Mar 29, 2017
Yucaipa
Yes! The world (DR) needs more Mazda builds!

I'm gonna need you to go ahead and keep updating this thread, MMMMMM Kaaaaaaayyy. Thaaaaaannnnnnnks.

UmmYeahItsMe147

Mar 2, 2006
Big Bear Lake, CA
I'll keep it updated best I can. It's a slow one since I still love to travel and backpack and have way too many other hobbies and higher priorities in life, but it'll be one of those 'slowly but surely' builds that's for sure.

Same carpet! Lol... always liked the smell of Turtle Wax Ice car wash, so went with their carpet cleaner too. That, a cheap brush from Wal Mart, and some elbow grease really did the trick.

UmmYeahItsMe147

Mar 2, 2006
Big Bear Lake, CA
Started getting into the smog issues and looked over all the obvious stuff first. It had all kinds of severed vacuum lines and plenty of other little surprises right off hand.

It kinda snowballed the more I dug into it and I started to realize why my friend had given up on it. I kept thinking I should just do a 4.0 swap, but I also kept telling myself "Nah, I'm sure after I replace THIS part I'll be good...". Right.

Luckily I stopped by my old work, an auto parts delivery warehouse, to get a set of windshield wipers and they offered me my old job back. I told them that was perfect!.. I just bought a Ford. Forget the pay and hours, they had me at 10% over cost.

Needless to say, I pulled all the suspension and started going through EVERYTHING. At about the same time my friend Motiracer38 on here donated a spare tire and wheel and I also found an 8.8 with 4:56's through the classifieds on here.

When I was driving it around I noticed a wobble in the wheel when I would brake. I figured loose caliper bolt, warped rotor, chipped pad, something along those lines. So I picked up new pads, hardware, calipers, rotors, bearings, and seals. Then in the tear down I found this cute little guy...

UmmYeahItsMe147

Mar 2, 2006
Big Bear Lake, CA
After a LOT of time throwing parts at it, I was finally able to ditch the check engine light and get it registered.

To celebrate, a group of friends and I decided on a random one nighter up in Gorman since it was close. Gotta admit, it was nice loading up a truck again.

Had a great time playing with the truck finally! That 5.5 kit's not half bad. Unfortunately we were all having too much fun to take any action pictures. My exhaust fell off that night, so there's that, and my friend that I was with got this picture of how nice and green it was at the time. It drizzled a little bit that morning so the dirt was absolutely perfect and not a speck of dust came up all day. It was a pretty amazing last second trip. Definitely some good times to look back on.

After driving at night, I realized I needed a little more light. The Hella's were great for down the road, but the 5.5 kit doesn't need that kind of distance. So I decided to upgrade my headlights to hid's for distance and picked up an led bar for flood.

Hella 4k halogens...

Led bar...

And decided to do led reverse lights too because tint sucks when you're backing up...

Then figured, why not, might as well go full kill led. I ordered up some license plate lights and wired up some cargo led's to an interior switch...

After that things kind of mellowed out for a while. Started using the truck for dd activities like all little Mexican gardener trucks should be used for.

Drove it on it's first long distance drive to visit some friends in Arizona

And, honestly, just started enjoying having a truck to play with

UmmYeahItsMe147

Mar 2, 2006
Big Bear Lake, CA
I also forgot to mention I couldn't really find any decent gusseted tabs for led bars. I didn't like the idea of a flat tab, so I found some channel tabs and ground them down to my liking. I definitely like how these turned out a little more than everything else I saw available, and Beaumont was kind enough to weld them on for me.

UmmYeahItsMe147

Mar 2, 2006
Big Bear Lake, CA
It was around that time that I was just happy to have a truck again that my friend mentioned how he was surprised that I hadn't jumped the step up yet, the local jump back in Santa Clarita. So of course we headed over after work that day and jumped the step up haha

That's about when all the fun began and I remembered that I bought the truck because I wanted to build it.

I haven't bothered to pick up suspension parts yet because it wasn't until lately that I've decided which direction I wanted to go with the truck, so in the meantime I've picked up parts that would be useful to play with the truck as it is.

Got hooked up with a set of hand-me-down clevis's, ordered some fresh springs from Camburg, and cleaned up the shocks

Got a hold of some bedsides, cleaned them up, and got them put on

Got a 50" light bar somewhere around there and started taking the truck out a bit again

Got a hold of set of fresh take off km's, my dream tire. Always loved these things! They're old and hard, but no dry rotting and way more meat than what was on my old tires. The spare still has hairs on them even!

And it was around that time that I moved up here to where I'm at now in Big Bear

And that's about when I realized that rear wheel drive vehicles have no business being on ice. I was driving around a corner one night and a telephone pole jumped out into the road and hit me.

Turboyota

Mar 29, 2017
Yucaipa
Nice pictures! So you have a truck that isn't on jackstands??? I'm having trouble fathoming that...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds