Project Zoom Zoom

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

UmmYeahItsMe147

Mar 2, 2006
Big Bear Lake, CA
So mid week I got a dm to my Instagram saying I won the Jump Champs Heatwave Visual sunglasses contest... cool!(?) I had no idea how I won or what I did to win lol, but I was stoked! I guess they had a "tag jump champs and tell a story" contest and they saw one of my tagged posts and dug it haha. Needless to say, I couldn't wait to get home on Friday to check out my new sunnies! So now I fit in with all the bros, but funny thing is I actually kinda like them.

Obviously the truck isn't street legal anymore, and there's no way the Subaru was pulling the Mazda, but I'm lucky enough to have great enough friends who are willing to let me borrow their truck and trailer! Got loaded up and headed out as quick as I could! Even got to test my fuel filler neck holder finally

From there, things were crazy and nonstop go go go! Rolled up Friday night just in time to join camp and watch the desert drags. It was a long week at work and a long day to boot with an early morning coming up, so I passed out pretty early on.

First thing in the morning I ate some breakfast (gotta love backpacker meals lol), went to tech and registration, and slapped on some stickers because race truck!

Advanced Product Solutions (led lights), Mercenary Offroad (offroad bumpers), and Era Moto Co (custom dirtbike graphic kits) are all great friends of mine and I love to help support them. Rdc, and Kartek because what would we do without them?! And Method and Heatwave Visual because they were sponsors for Jump Champs which I support and also because those stickers came with my new shades so how couldn't I rock them?!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

UmmYeahItsMe147

Mar 2, 2006
Big Bear Lake, CA
Race time baby! Pictures are still rolling in here and there, but here's a few I have so far...

My friend got a booth, visited all kinds of other friends floating around, met a few new people, and my dad and step mom even made it out!

The race was super fun and it was a blast to drive!

Lap 1 my stereo fell out so I had to pull off to the side of the track, disconnect everything, and chuck it out the window haha

Lap 2 my goggles kept fogging up so I had to hold them off my face while trying to drive stick at the same time (as can be seen in the first picture if you look close enough lol)

And lap 3 my battery came loose and knocked a big hole in my radiator causing me to pull out of the race.

I didn't feel confident about any of the laps I put down, but I had a great time driving the track anyways! I was super bummed I had to pull out early, but hey, that's racing I guess. Just wish I had the chance to get one good lap time in that I felt good about. And that's when I found out that I must've put down at least one decent lap because I took 2nd place in class!

All in all I had such a great time! The truck took everything way better than I was expecting, the tires hooked up amazingly and made it well worth the last second purchase, it was great to see friends and family, and I'm aware of what kinks to work out for the next one now.

So stoked to see how many people came through to help make this happen and I couldn't ask for better friends in my life.

UmmYeahItsMe147

Mar 2, 2006
Big Bear Lake, CA
Definitely speak up or shut up! lol maybe I was just in my own world at the moment haha

Last but not least, I washed her off last weekend and she'll be parked for a short while. Moved it around, looked over a few things, and made a mental list.

I got invited out to the desert last weekend, and amongst chatting with a few people, I guess it set in how much I let the plans snowball already. I was back and forth with keeping it on leaves or short course linking it, long travel or stock travel, kinda wanted to cut out the buckets and mount coilovers to stock arms... and then I remembered... I bought it to keep it simple and cheap, to beat it, and have fun. Slam gears, make dust, have fun.

I already have the 2.0's sitting in the garage that I bought from Brent, so I cleaned up the shock towers a bit mostly just to fiddle with them.

I'm waiting on my friend to fix his axle so he can swap in his deavers, and then I'll get my f150 leaves back.

From there I'll flip the shackles and hangers again, make a simple bedcage, and find some 16's to mount.

After that, the plan is grille, headlights, hang fiberglass and register it again! Really excited at the thought of being able to drive it around on the street again or maybe to work for the week just for the fun of it. Hit an old jump back in my hometown, who knows. But shocks first!

In the meantime I'm kinda back in roadtrip, camping, and hiking mode again, so I'll post updates as they come along!

UmmYeahItsMe147

Mar 2, 2006
Big Bear Lake, CA
So now that I'm between employers and actually living at my house full time again, I've been staring at the truck and got a fire up my ass.

I won't be getting too crazy, but repairs are first on the list. I torched all the black widows with brake cleaner, fixed the inner tie rod, currently working on repairing the inner fender / deciding if I need to relocate the battery or not, and ordered a radiator. With those three things knocked out, she should be back in the dirt by the weekend! Luckily I have fully functional ac haha 'cause man it's hot out here in Apple Valley!

I should also be picking up my old f150 leaves within the next week or two, and my roomate has some 2.0 14 smoothies that should at least be better than the Vatozone specials for now. Thinking about notching the frame and running s10 blazer bumps too, because who cares about de-arching f150 leaves that can be found at a junkyard all day.

Pretty stoked for late summer nights in the driveway!

UmmYeahItsMe147

Mar 2, 2006
Big Bear Lake, CA
Good to hear! MaiTai turned me onto them, I was just searching for a cheap alternative to hydro bumps. Are the Dorman poly replacements similar? Or are the oe ones from a junkyard the ones to get??

I got my radiator in today and when I went to open the thermostat using heat, I found out my hvac system isn't working anymore. Seems like I have a pretty bad vacuum leak through the vapor canister purge valve. So it looks like I'll be doing some troubleshooting to get it running right because it has a hell of a rough idle to the point where it wants to stall.

Guess I beat it a little harder than I thought at Jump Champs haha

UmmYeahItsMe147

Mar 2, 2006
Big Bear Lake, CA
Btw, is anyone familiar with this light bar? I heard it was from a group buy on here from a long time ago. I can't for the life of me make any sense of the wiring haha

Latest posts

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds