Psi for king shocks?

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register
Oct 25, 2005
north...far north
Hey guys,

Whats a good starting point for charging my king shocks?
Ranger Edge camburg LT up front with 2.5” remote resevoir coil over, 2.5” triple bypass, 2” bumps
Camburg 3 link rear 2.5” remote resi coil over, 3.0” triple by pass, 2”bumps.

Do you guys run the same psi in everything (incl. bumps)?

What about tire pressure?

I had everything at 200psi, then i seen somewhere that said 150 for kings, tried that, bottomed the sh*@ out of my truck. Figure i should post here and see for sure. Thanks!

marcytech

Mega Member
Mar 16, 2011
150 or 200 will be ideal. i dont think you should expect any change in performance between the two. bump stops are to your liking. i have like 90 in my fronts and 40 in my rears

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
For a top mounted reservoir ... depends on the valving. More valving means more pressure needed to prevent cavitation. I have run upwards of 330-350psi when running a rate plate to help combat piston plunge(AKA cavitation)

For a bottom mount reservoir bypass, 200psi is fine.

FYI, I am going to dispute your comment of a 50psi shock pressure difference being the cause of bottoming. ;-) Especially on a bypass with bottom mount reservoir.

Like marcy said.. for bumps.. you can be all over the place. I'm always toying with mine. I have run from like 60 to 300PSI. Generally like them with less pressure in the rear.

If your truck is bottoming hard... I would be looking at the valving, not pressure.

I'd be curious to see what is in your bypasses. Probably doesn't have the free bleeds plugged.

I tell everyone this...Don't be afraid to take a shock apart. Damn easiest thing to work on when it comes to a truck.

OH, and for tire pressure. Yea, lower is gonna be better for the most part. When I do a mix of street and dirt... I am around 22-25psi. If I am only dirt... I like to be in the teens.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2005
north...far north
ok. I will go back to 200psi all around.
Does pluging the free bleed hole (no idea if its open or closed) help with the smaller stuff? like pot holes and wash board or?

I wll have to air down the tires for sure, im at 35! might help with the small stuff.

we decided on short notice to race in montana in a couple week, so im just trying to do what i can setting wise to set the truck up a little better (knowing what to change/get for shims or other parts is pretty hard to do around here).

sirhk100

Racer
Feb 24, 2003
Las Vegas
I tell everyone this...Don't be afraid to take a shock apart. Damn easiest thing to work on when it comes to a truck.
Most of the time physically taking them off the truck and putting them back on is harder than actually doing the work on the shock itself...

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
ok. I will go back to 200psi all around.
Does pluging the free bleed hole (no idea if its open or closed) help with the smaller stuff? like pot holes and wash board or?

I wll have to air down the tires for sure, im at 35! might help with the small stuff.

we decided on short notice to race in montana in a couple week, so im just trying to do what i can setting wise to set the truck up a little better (knowing what to change/get for shims or other parts is pretty hard to do around here).
No, technically speaking... you want more free bleed for the small stuff. However, that's not usually much of a problem when it comes to a bypass. That's what the tubes are for.... You can still get plenty of flow for that type of stuff with the bleeds plugged... by opening up the bypass tubes. You want the bleeds plugged so you can effectively use the bump zone of the bypass (The portion of travel above the top tube)

If you have the standard valving that comes in most shocks, it's probably not gonna be that great. Everything I have received has had way too much rebound valving and way too little compression valving. Sometimes flipping the stack will be a good improvement until you can get some shims to swap out.

Dropping to 25 psi in tires will definitely help with the chatter.

Most of the time physically taking them off the truck and putting them back on is harder than actually doing the work on the shock itself...
Aint that the truth!!!! Especially when you're working in your backyard with floor jacks that only go like 12". I have to break out all the blocks and start stacking. Not to mention the order of operations I have to go through if I want to take coil overs off. Big fun.

Wish I had a tractor or forklift!

sirhk100

Racer
Feb 24, 2003
Las Vegas
Yeah, I'm definitely jealous of the tractor comment!!!

Totally off topic but picking up 4 of these a few years back made me regret not getting them a decade plus ago!!! It's still not super easy but "typically I can at least use a block of wood, jack the truck up as far as the jack will go support whatever end I'm at on the bumper with these, pull the tires, lower and that will 'typically' get me to full droop. Plus with 4 of them I can have the whole truck in the air supported at bumpers and be wide open to work underneath which is nice. They're rated at 2000+lbs each so more than enough for my trucks. Just have to watch that you don't over extend them. I also try to keep them as low as I can get away with just for piece of mind... I'm still alive though and no accidents yet with them! LOL

https://www.ridgid.com/us/en/v-head-pipe-stands

Everyone wants long travel!!! Until you have to work on it!!! LOL, 21"/29" isn't all it's cracked up to be when it's in the garage!

Last edited:

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
Yeah, I'm definitely jealous of the tractor comment!!!

Totally off topic but picking up 4 of these a few years back made me regret not getting them a decade plus ago!!! It's still not super easy but "typically I can at least use a block of wood, jack the truck up as far as the jack will go support whatever end I'm at on the bumper with these, pull the tires, lower and that will 'typically' get me to full droop. Plus with 4 of them I can have the whole truck in the air supported at bumpers and be wide open to work underneath which is nice. They're rated at 2000+lbs each so more than enough for my trucks. Just have to watch that you don't over extend them. I also try to keep them as low as I can get away with just for piece of mind... I'm still alive though and no accidents yet with them! LOL

https://www.ridgid.com/us/en/v-head-pipe-stands

Everyone wants long travel!!! Until you have to work on it!!! LOL, 21"/29" isn't all it's cracked up to be when it's in the garage!
Yea, i have been wanting something like those ever since I saw them in a real shop.

I manage to cheap out every time I look at buying them. Then I wish I bought them the next time I pull my suspension apart. Vicious cycle, I tell ya. LOL

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds