Rear axle options

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

jmross

Dec 25, 2007
Tempe, AZ
Need some recommendations for a rear axle setup. Truck is a 08 silverado with a mid travel front kit and stock rearend for now. Running 35" tires and would like to go to 37s in the future. The current rear axle is the 8.6" 10 bolt. Would like to upgrade it before it breaks.

I can go to a trutrac with my current rearend and re-gear while I'm in there.

I can do a 9in rear, but I can't find any factory housings that are wide enough to match my current axle width. Not trying to go full floater just because of cost. Trying to keep this affordable.

What about a dana 60 semi float rear axle? A guy locally has one that's about the same width as my 10 bolt. Pretty sure he said it was 6 lug.

Also found some 14 bolt 9.5" 6 lug axles out of 07-13 Silverado 1500s. Missing brakes and would have to ship. Cost about $1000.

Any other options? Trying to keep this affordable. Under $2000 would be nice. The front end only cycles 12" of travel so it's a pretty mellow build. Stock engine, tranny nothing crazy.

Big Ron Dog

Big Ron Dog
Mar 28, 2005
Beaumont
www.myspace.com
A friend of mine did a 14 bolt and converted it to disc brakes.

Where are you located, he put a wanted ad on CL and picked a complete rear end up for $200

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmross

Dec 25, 2007
Tempe, AZ
I'm located in the pheonix AZ, area. So that's the 10.5" ring gear right? What's involved with going to 6 lug? Can I get the width i need? My current rear is 69.5" wms-wms.

84projectford

Sep 8, 2010
Phoenix Az
there are 3 different "14 bolts" out there. the early Corporate 14 bolt years have a smooth iron center section and different style drum brakes (slip on drums) as well as thinner wall tubing iirc, the later Corporate 14 bolt has ribbed center section and the drums are pressed onto the hub via the studs. Corporate 14 bolts can be found in 2500/3500s up to 98, in 99 gm started the new body style and the LD2500 NBS which got a semi float corporate 14 bolt. the OBS 3500 trucks from 99-00 will be the only ones with a Corporate 14 bolt full float. in 01, GM went to AAM axles and the "14 bolt" is not the same as the old years. its a completely new axle that is a 10.5" ring gear and disc brakes. It no longer has a pinion support and i believe takes different gears/carriers than the older ones. they still have 14 bolts holding the ring gear on though and thats what people still go by for some reason. IMHO, the older Corporate 14 bolt 98 and older is the way to go as you get the pinion support and parts are DIRT cheap for them. just be careful on what some people call a 14 bolt, ive seen alot of guys trying to sell 01-up 14 bolts like they are the old style diffs. They are AAM 10.5's.

Dirt E Dreamer

OG Member
Mar 11, 2008
the seven seas
there is couple different options most guys buy and 8 lug and do the conversion but will need wheel spacers as the hubs are different offset. or put a wanted add out for a 6 lug 14 bolt they are out there in both older for (some came full float) and the newer ones which are 1500hd axles

84projectford

Sep 8, 2010
Phoenix Az
there is couple different options most guys buy and 8 lug and do the conversion but will need wheel spacers as the hubs are different offset. or put a wanted add out for a 6 lug 14 bolt they are out there in both older for (some came full float) and the newer ones which are 1500hd axles
the bastard years 1500hd (think 03-05 were the only years made for it) were still 8 lug. IIRC the only 6 lug 14 bolt was a semi float. cant say ive ever seen a 6 lug full float 14 bolt in either corporate or AAM flavor from the factory.

Reactions: Dirt E Dreamer

jmross

Dec 25, 2007
Tempe, AZ
Are there any 6 lug conversion hubs for the 14 bolt that don't narrow the track width? Looks like some of the vans had a 14 bolt FF that where 70" wms-wms. That would be about perfect.

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds