Rust removal

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

DA Ranger

Chasing Dreams Offroad
Sep 11, 2005
Corona
Getting the project going again after finally getting my career and family started. Truck has been in the back yard collecting rust. I have been their done that with scotchbrite, wd40, steep wool etc. I don’t have the time to do that because a lot is rusted. Wanted to get your guys opinion on the dustless blasting or the other non abrasive blasting. Anyone have any experience with it? Does it work? Worth the money. Also if you have a good reference. Thanks in advance

Bertismyname

Oct 1, 2018
San Diego
I've used soda blasting with good results. It doesn't profile the metal like glass beads or sand. Walnut shells work o.k. too. From what I understand the dustless blasting uses soda and water which creates a temporary coating that slows down oxidation of carbon steel.

DA Ranger

Chasing Dreams Offroad
Sep 11, 2005
Corona
I've used soda blasting with good results. It doesn't profile the metal like glass beads or sand. Walnut shells work o.k. too. From what I understand the dustless blasting uses soda and water which creates a temporary coating that slows down oxidation of carbon steel.
Awesome. Soda blasting is kind of what I’m thinking. Just wanted some opinions since I have never used it.

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
Dang, how bad we talking? I just use the knotty wheel on the 4.5 angle grinder. Hit rest with 80 grit. Down here in SD close to the beach outside, it's a never ending battle until you paint.

DA Ranger

Chasing Dreams Offroad
Sep 11, 2005
Corona
Dang, how bad we talking? I just use the knotty wheel on the 4.5 angle grinder. Hit rest with 80 grit. Down here in SD close to the beach outside, it's a never ending battle until you paint.
Haha it’s pretty bad, sad actually. If it’s to pricey just going to have grease up the elbows and go to town. Yeah I bet it is. As soon as it’s clean it’s getting painted

sirhk100

Racer
Feb 24, 2003
Las Vegas
I've always joked about heading to home depot/lowes to pick up some cheap labor... Set two of those dudes up with the materials and set them loose for a couple hours. May spend a little cash but probably cheaper then blasting it? Kinda funny but I'm serious...

DA Ranger

Chasing Dreams Offroad
Sep 11, 2005
Corona
I've always joked about heading to home depot/lowes to pick up some cheap labor... Set two of those dudes up with the materials and set them loose for a couple hours. May spend a little cash but probably cheaper then blasting it? Kinda funny but I'm serious...
Might have to consider it but they aren’t cheap anymore and you have to feed them lunch haha

Reactions: yltaco05

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds