Rusty Red

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

SByota

Jul 16, 2003
Not true at all.
NVH (Noise, Vibration, and Harshness) is serious stuff.

That's what separates quiet rides @ 90mph in a Mercedes E63 from the audio baragment from taking your Toyota Matrix past 60mph.

EDIT: Not saying he's going to kill a bus full of nuns if he removes it. But there will likely be a noticeable noise difference (provided his truck isn't noisy enough already to not hear the difference)

*race car parts make race car noises*
Let’s see, mud tires, solid mounted drivetrain, click-clack bypass shocks at every corner, paper thin China sheet metal cab……she is going to be a noisy bitch. The rubber dong is getting tossed.

Last edited:

SByota

Jul 16, 2003
Finally!! I have been trying to find ring and pinions for this thing since August! The internet says these are 2nd rate Yukons. I wanted 4:88’s but could only find 5:29’s what’s another 300 rpm at cruising speed?!
The front setup looks to be a total pain in the ass, should be fun.

This guy does a ton of Toyota gear installs and documents a lot of them in great detail. Definitely worth a look.

smokeysevin

is Ron Burgundy?
Dec 28, 2012
Houston
I should just send my diffs out to him. In reality, I’m too cheap, I hate paying for labor.
The front gear install SUCKED on mine, that split case setup was a pain in the ass. I think part of the extra headache was that I swapped to a supra LSD carrier at the same time but I had some clearance issues on the bolt side of the carrier which initially rubbed on the housing. It was not immediately obvious until I went to check the pattern and could only rotate the pinion ~1/8 a rev before it fouled on the ring gear bolts. Thank god for setup bearings.

It is totally doable but man, I am really considering not swapping the 4.56s for 4.88s if I go up a tire size.

Sean

Reactions: SByota

dose

Creepy Camper
Jan 4, 2018
Mammoth Lakes CA
Too late now but 4.88 is stronger due to an extra tooth on the pinion
My truck with 4.88 and 35s is about 7% lower than stock.
your going to be turning some high rpms on the highway

Reactions: SByota

SByota

Jul 16, 2003
Too late now but 4.88 is stronger due to an extra tooth on the pinion
My truck with 4.88 and 35s is about 7% lower than stock.
your going to be turning some high rpms on the highway
I wanted 4:88, but they were out of stock everywhere!! I had back orders with multiple vendors and they all failed to produce.

She is definitely going to sing on the freeway. Calculator shows 2700ish RPM at 75.

Latest posts

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds