School me on body panels

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

5lugger95

Dec 8, 2012
I am wanting to panel in my engine cage and part of my bed cage for a cleaner look both cosmetically and literally.

I know the go to is aluminum sheet, what size is typical for this application? I'm worried about being able to make a clean solution with aluminum using the basic tools I have at my disposal. Maybe a jig saw to cut it?

Also, are there any plastic solutions that would work and be reasonabley priced?

My main asks in a material are that it's easily workable with basic shop tools, won't melt close to the motor, and is easy to clean. Preferably black or silver colored.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

themoneypit

Jul 30, 2018
Missouri
I've seen lexan used in the rear of some trucks, and I know some drift bros that use Lexan in the engine bay. It holds up to normal engine bay temps, but would probably melt near a turbo or cat.

partybarge_pilot

Uno mas Cervesa!
May 14, 2004
Boringsville
Aluminum your going to want a softer grade like 5052, it forms much easier without cracking. Usually in 18G for panels around the engine. If you actually need some protection step it up to 16G. Get a HF bead roller, reinforce it and you'll be making panels like a pro in no time.

5lugger95

Dec 8, 2012
Aluminum your going to want a softer grade like 5052, it forms much easier without cracking. Usually in 18G for panels around the engine. If you actually need some protection step it up to 16G. Get a HF bead roller, reinforce it and you'll be making panels like a pro in no time.
10-4. How would you suggest cutting the 18g?

bri_man57

Need to Build
Jul 11, 2005
Ventura, California
I bought an electric shear off Amazon for like 55 bucks that's rated to 14 gauge steel, works awesome. Since it's for heavier gauge sheet metal, the until itself is a touch on the heavy side so maybe keep that in mind if ordering one. I needed to make some panels for the floorboard in my xj and I was really happy I got that shear.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

bullnerd

Feb 1, 2008
Kett shears, (double cut) Or HF equivalent. https://www.harborfreight.com/14-gauge-4-amp-heavy-duty-metal-shears-68199.html

Bead roller like B mentioned, with the round over dies, don't know what they're called.

Slapper, or body hammer for spots you cant roll.

If your patient you can use the slapper for the whole edge, but roller is quicker, or leave edge flat, but rolled is cooler and stronger.

Buy Ron Fournier's books, sheet metal and metal fabricator's handbook, it's all in there.

Reactions: Turboyota

5lugger95

Dec 8, 2012
Rad, thanks y'all. I'll buy a cheap bead roller and those corded shears from HF and have at it.

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds