Sealing holes in cab made for tubes

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

socalkid92

Nov 9, 2010
National City, CA
Is there something that you guys use to seal up the holes made in the firewall to connect the cage to the engine cage other than plate? When I did my cage I cut bigger than I needed to and now there's huge holes that would be a pain to patch up with sheet metal. Is there something that you guys have used to close them up? Such as expanding foam or silicone. The holes are about 4 or 5 inches wide.

dsrtrcr01

Jan 31, 2005
Sheet metal then Seam Sealer is my go to.

I usually keep the piece I cut out. Hole saw the size tube I am going around. Or a little bigger if I have the correct size. Then I cut it in half and put it back to the tube. Weld it in then seam seal/silicone

Reactions: TotalPozerRaceing

the bodj

1st post pg805
Mar 4, 2010
Moorpark
Oversize the fill plates so they lay on top of the existing metal. Don't try to get it to fit the square you cut exactly. Make the filler piece out of two plates so you only have to get each plate to fit half the tube. Lay the plate next to the tube, guestimate what you need to cut and mark with a sharpie. Use tin snips, angle grinder, and carbide burr to cut out the shape you need. Weld, seam seal, profit??

Turboyota

Mar 29, 2017
Yucaipa
Let’s throw some pics at this discussion.

Properly oversized hole in the cab:

Cardboard template that extends past the clearance hole by 1/4” or so:

Copy in steel:

Grind to fit

Metal glue technique:
0.030” wire
Move fast -or- trigger migger continuous tack method to keep from blowing holes in the cover patch. On really thin stuff I do about 1-2 seconds of weld, then let the puddle cool while watching it through the helmet. Once the molten metal orange color starts to fade, I do another short weld.

Here is another one on the driver’s side firewall that was difficult to reach. I smeared seam sealer on the shit I couldn’t reach.

the bodj

1st post pg805
Mar 4, 2010
Moorpark
Let’s throw some pics at this discussion.

Properly oversized hole in the cab:

Cardboard template that extends past the clearance hole by 1/4” or so:

Copy in steel:

Grind to fit

Metal glue technique:
0.030” wire
Move fast -or- trigger migger continuous tack method to keep from blowing holes in the cover patch. On really thin stuff I do about 1-2 seconds of weld, then let the puddle cool while watching it through the helmet. Once the molten metal orange color starts to fade, I do another short weld.

Here is another one on the driver’s side firewall that was difficult to reach. I smeared seam sealer on the shit I couldn’t reach.

Yes, that's exactly what I do also. Where the two half pieces meet, I also try to overlap that by a quarter to half inch. Makes it go way faster and looks cleaner.

Pro tip: Coors light boxes work great. Similar thickness as 18ish Gauge steel.

Pro tip^2: weld only where you have sheet metal on sheet metal contact. If the pieces start separating, weld right up to that point so the metal gets piping hot, then give it a couple taps with a ball peen hammer to close the gap.

Latest posts

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds