Sell out and buy a utv?

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

04yfzkid

I are smarts
Mar 21, 2007
Flagstaff, AZ
I am generally against UTV's for all the same reasons. However my buddy has an x3 that has taken some serious time to dial in. Different hole sizes on the internal bypasses, valving, spring rates, braced the arms ect. It's on 35's with a tune, exhaust, and clutch work. This thing shits and gets takes the deepish whoops with easy. I honestly think a well set up ranger with a cammed 5.3 will not touch it on the private side of ocotillo wells. We were going back and fourth with an 800 hp bronco last weekend and it gave it a good run for it's money. All that with a broken front sway bar.

That being said it's probably got another $30k (retail pricing) into it on top of the initial purchase price. He also is always working on it replacing the weak links as it gets faster and faster. In the big shit like barstow main it's not very good, but that was on 32's. I have a blast ridding passenger, but at the end of the day it's not for me.

mconcha

Señor Member
Aug 24, 2007
SD
Sounds like your buddy is working up to the cost of a less spacious, less capable dual sport v8 car. Maybe.

Personally I go truck over utv for b/c of all the creature comforts and “street legality”.
I’m trying to make enough money at my day job to so I can afford to have someone else build and prep my shit. I’m too busy and would rather spend my free time with my family and friends.
Aka the perfect Raptor candidate. Dealership desert prep program. Respect me less I DGAF.

cuz_im_CR

Sep 26, 2007
I have to say one of the best out of the box purchases I’ve made was my rzr. It’s a total blast to drive. I too was in ocotillo for New Years. Pouring rain and riding all over the place. Full helmets and pumpers FTW.

The argument of not street legal is bogus IMO because They are. Just not in California. Go to AZ or Utah and have at it on the street.

Major reason I was over the trucks was time. I don’t have time to work on things as much. Plus I put all this hard work into a vehicle to drive it at its limit and potentially wad it up. No insurance will cover all the money you have into your vehicle. My rzr has full coverage insurance so it gets stolen or totaled I get my money back.

All that said I am keeping my rzr and building a bronco currently for those spontaneous spur of the moment off-road trips that we all grew up doing. I don’t have to push the bronco hard because it isn’t my only toy. I have the rzr I can drive the wheels off of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dsrtrcr01

Jan 31, 2005
So your telling me just move to az or utah? Or are you saying just make my desert trips in az and Utah instead of 90 minutes away in ocotillo? No thanks. Been there. Rather have a street legal ca vehicle.
Point being no it is NOT a bogus argument

Mine is fully insured for way over the amount I spent.

Glad you like it. Have fun.

Reactions: the bodj

cuz_im_CR

Sep 26, 2007
So your telling me just move to az or utah? Or are you saying just make my desert trips in az and Utah instead of 90 minutes away in ocotillo? No thanks. Been there. Rather have a street legal ca vehicle.
Point being no it is NOT a bogus argument

Mine is fully insured for way over the amount I spent.

Glad you like it. Have fun.
Where in my post does it suggest you only off-road in AZ or UT? As I stated I was in ocotillo for New Years. The statement a UTV isn’t street legal is in FACT bogus. Unless you are talking about CA. Don’t get your panties in a wad.

As far as your vehicle being fully insured for more then it’s worth that is absolutely fantastic. AAA denied my ranger because it was caged and State Farm said they’d insure only for the value of the vehicle plus what I have invoices for. Since it’s home built the total is kinda small and I’m not a fan of insurance fraud (faking invoices) so it is what it is.

partybarge_pilot

Uno mas Cervesa!
May 14, 2004
Easton, KS
You can street register golf carts in most states.

I saw a vintage TRX250R motoring through downtown Tucson, now that was cool.

But yes, you should move out of Komifornia, there are much better places to live.

Kansas is not one of them.

Reactions: Ryan Jubera

dsrtrcr01

Jan 31, 2005
Where in my post does it suggest you only off-road in AZ or UT?
Rright here is the statement I responded to:
The argument of not street legal is bogus IMO because They are. Just not in California. Go to AZ or Utah and have at it on the street.
As I stated I was in ocotillo for New Years. The statement a UTV isn’t street legal is in FACT bogus. Unless you are talking about CA. Don’t get your panties in a wad.

As far as your vehicle being fully insured for more then it’s worth that is absolutely fantastic. AAA denied my ranger because it was caged and State Farm said they’d insure only for the value of the vehicle plus what I have invoices for. Since it’s home built the total is kinda small and I’m not a fan of insurance fraud (faking invoices) so it is what it is.

Ha. You're funny. Crying to me about my panties in a bunch. Did I strike a nerve?

Simply stated it is in fact not a bogus claim. It is a 100% valid argument for everyone in CA.

As I said before. Glad you like it... have fun.

Last edited:
Reactions: the bodj

84projectford

Sep 8, 2010
Phoenix Az
UTV’s can be street legal in MVD eyes in here in AZ but that does not mean a cop won’t pull you over for tires out side the fenders, no wind shield (if you don’t have one, goggles do not count), non dot tires, and so on. Seen it done many times out here. The purpose behind it was not for vehicles to be on paved roads, strictly for 2 and 3 digit forestry graded roads. You must be “street legal” for those.

04yfzkid

I are smarts
Mar 21, 2007
Flagstaff, AZ
Sounds like your buddy is working up to the cost of a less spacious, less capable dual sport v8 car. Maybe.
Funny that you mention that. His wife has a street legal dual sport LS car and she was tired of it being broken from us prerunning in it lol. He didn't want to have two buggies to prep along with the 10 car. He is almost at that point now though lol.

For the street legal aspect, there is atleast 2 california registered RZR's and another I know of that is progress. Yes it is a major pain in the ass (even more than the buggies) but it is possible.... for now. I'm not saying the UTV is a good option for the majority of people on here, but if you want it bad enough, you can make it a good option.

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds