Shop lighting

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

speed king

Sep 13, 2009
Apple Valley, CA
What’s everyone using for general lighting and under truck lighting? Looking for something that won’t produce a ton of heat but still a lot of quality light. I’ve found a few LED options but not sure how effective they would be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PSDirtracer

Oct 17, 2007
Bermuda Dunes, CA
My overhead lighting in my shop I used the LED shop lights that Costco was selling I ended up with 10 of them in my 1500sqft shop and its great lighting for me. Under the truck I slack it and use the HF free mag lights you get or iPhone light

Motiracer38

Super Senior Member
Feb 14, 2006
Santa Clarita
I built my 1200sqft garage two years ago right at the cusp of LED shop lighting. The Costco ones of that era sucked for light quality and any better got expensive fast. I ended up with 22 4ft fluorescent fixtures with 44 32watt bulbs total and it is nice. I have finished white ceilings and walls and don't really find a need for under truck lighting unless it's real tedious. Funny thing is most nights that I'm working in the garage, half the power meter is reading just the lights. Now I may take a closer look at LEDs just to be more efficient.

I do have a light similar to this that is as bright as any flood light. It plugs into the wall yet has a battery in it that will last a couple hours.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-3500-Lumen-Portable-LED-Work-Light-HD3500P/300088211

dsrtrcr01

Jan 31, 2005
I bought 4 foot LEDs from Costco when they were on sale. Best thing I ever did for the garage. I was going through Tubes like crazy before.

Under truck I have a big LED rechargeable light bar, a plug in LED spot/work light and a Coleman LED flashlight.

speed king

Sep 13, 2009
Apple Valley, CA
I ended up picking up one of these as a trial run, going to pick up a few more because of how nice they are, still get hot like the old style ones but not as bad.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-1500-Lumen-Portable-LED-Work-Light-K40066/207186706

And in the shop for overhead we have 16 of the Costco 4’ LED lights, with an additional 4 over the workbench, it’s bright in the 1200 sqft shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds