Silvia the Silver Slut - 2003 Toyota Tundra

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

DP_Ranger

Mar 13, 2010
dana point
Got the front end back together 100% tonight minus 4 tack welds on the alignment cams.

New parts list:
Upper and lower arm bushings
Lower arm balljoints with TC double sheer steering tabs
Upper arm uniballs and misalignments, and 5” grade8 7/8” bolt
New Total Chaos coil bucket adapters
Shocks rebuilt
Coil over springs powder coated
Lower spring retainers powder coated
ALL and I mean ALL new hardware, minus upper control arm through-bolt. This includes all lower arm cams/through-bolts/cam nuts.

Fresh powdercoat on the springs and lower retainer. I really should have done a steel-it job on the shocks but time didn’t allow it

She’ll be back on her weight tomorrow and then pack up and head to glamis 🤙🏼

Last edited:

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
umm... you just described how I cut and grind 90% of my stuff. My slight modifications below. hahah

I might’ve had 1 too many sport sodas all morning and I got real ghetto with shanking them. Held the bolt in a shitty pair of Harbor Freight channel locks with my sandals/foot on it and steadied it with my left hand, held a totally worn out and chipped cutoff wheel on the grinder in my right hand, in a dark garage where I can barely see my marks, and went for it. Got them all right on the first try, GREAT SUCCESS 👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼

armrunner

OG Member
Feb 12, 2006
Bakersfield, CA
I legit perked up when I read that also. Hopefully a decent kit at a decent price. Still in air on my Tundra
Ya my BTF kit is maxed out. Camburg race kit seems to be a decent option. Mcm, Total Chaos, BTF are all basically the same. Solo kit is cool too but more money then the Burg kit in the end.

the bodj

1st post pg805
Mar 4, 2010
Moorpark
Ya my BTF kit is maxed out. Camburg race kit seems to be a decent option. Mcm, Total Chaos, BTF are all basically the same. Solo kit is cool too but more money then the Burg kit in the end.
Biggest limiting factor on these trucks is the steering racks. You can get plenty of droop, but you're going to destroy the rack pretty quickly. I have mine limited to 16.5" to save the rack. I bump when my upper arm contacts the stock wheel well sheet metal. I didn't want to cut that out and have to remount everything, but probably could have gotten another inch of bump

armrunner

OG Member
Feb 12, 2006
Bakersfield, CA
Biggest limiting factor on these trucks is the steering racks. You can get plenty of droop, but you're going to destroy the rack pretty quickly. I have mine limited to 16.5" to save the rack. I bump when my upper arm contacts the stock wheel well sheet metal. I didn't want to cut that out and have to remount everything, but probably could have gotten another inch of bump
Agreed! My stock uprights limit alot of things right now. The BTF upper arm using a vertical Uniball (with stock uprights) sucks. The Gen 1 Tundra rack sucks. If the kit you have isnt moved forward 1-2”s you gotta hack half your firewall/wheel well out. Alot of things you gotta do to get away from pulling only 13”s of gnar travel like my kit.

DP_Ranger

Mar 13, 2010
dana point
I knew I left a big money item off that prep list! Fresh driveshaft, carrier, joints, etc from Drivelines Inc

And yea what Bodj said. The steering rack is the limiting factor with keeping the front end reliable. They’re good for ~15-16” of travel. Any more than that and you’re going to get real good at replacing them real quick.

Reactions: armrunner

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds