Smaller power steering boxes for 302 swapped Ranger.

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

DJSchick88

Oct 15, 2008
I swapped in a 302 into my ranger and by doing so I needed to use a oil filter relocation kit and this made everything very tight in the power steering box area.

My question is has anyone found a smaller steering box for these trucks.

Thanks in advance.

charlie_brown

OG Member
Aug 10, 2004
OC/BAJA
I ave not heard of anyone swapping a smaller box. where did you get the motor mounts from? what year ranger (beam or A-arm)?

DJSchick88

Oct 15, 2008
Its a canton unit from summit. I believe its a late 80's early 90's square body. Bought it as an unfinished project from a guy.

mounty71

Mega Member
Oct 18, 2007
San Francisco
I notched into the inside face of the frame rail to recess the steering box. It’s still tight but I gained a little more space for the oil filter adapter that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DJSchick88

Oct 15, 2008
I notched into the inside face of the frame rail to recess the steering box. It’s still tight but I gained a little more space for the oil filter adapter that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I probably only need 1/4" maybe less to get the lines through. How did you go about notching out the frame? I was curious about cutting out the section of frame where the box mounts and seeing what was behind it but wasn't sure about what kind of rabbit hole that would lead me down.

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds