Solidworks + Computer

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register
Jun 3, 2004
Corona, Ca
www.mullenfabworks.com
I've been looking to upgrade my current setup, but have a hard time shelling out $3k+ for everything. I'm still running Solidworks 2008 on a laptop I bought for $500 in 2008. It works well enough, but I'd like to dive into more complex systems, which will likely overwhelm my current laptop. I also have a beefy Mac, which could handle Solidworks if I installed Windows on it. I'm not opposed to that idea nor am I opposed to building a new PC.

What is everyone running for Solidworks and where did you get it? Feel free to IM me if it's a secret you'd like to share. Same question for computers. I have decent enough knowledge to build a PC if needed.

marcytech

Mega Member
Mar 16, 2011
the main components youll need is a certified solidworks graphics card and lots of RAM (16G MINIMUM.) macs can work okay for solidworks but it comes down to equipment. most macs come with a graphics card that is not on the list of solidworks certified cards... does this matter? yes and no. cards get certified by solidworks to use...this means theyll have drivers available to optimize performance in sw. the main areas youll see this is rendering and line quality. non solidworks cards tend to display shaky lines and medium quality renderings. so if youre hoping to have nice renderings to show off products or designs youll NEED a good card.

building a pc is the way to go but EXTREMELY difficult and expensive right now. parts are more expensive than theyve ever been and graphics cards of all sorts are nearly impossible to find.
microcenter has really good deals on pre built work station style computers and thats pretty much the only way to get quality graphics cards these days.
id reccomend a quadro series card from nvidia. p2200, p400, rtx 4000 are all great cards depending on budget
if you can find a pc with either of those cards, 16gig + of ram and atleast a i5 8700k processor.... youll be good for years to come.

Reactions: MullenFabworks

jonsangel

Apr 13, 2009
Los Angeles
Me and a couple friends have had good luck with this builder on Ebay, https://www.ebay.com/usr/laptop_essential?ul_noapp=true.
I got a refurbished Dell M4800. I had him upgrade to a 512 GB solid state hard drive. When I was consulting and working from home it did well with my really large assemblies using SW2018. I had assemblies with thousands of parts and it handled it fine. I'm sure you can get a much better computer now than I did 3 years ago for the same price. I can hook you up with SW if you shoot me a DM

jonsangel

Apr 13, 2009
Los Angeles
Also I second what marcytech is saying. The graphics card is super important and ideally one that is certified for SW.

marcytech

Mega Member
Mar 16, 2011
Me and a couple friends have had good luck with this builder on Ebay, https://www.ebay.com/usr/laptop_essential?ul_noapp=true.
I got a refurbished Dell M4800. I had him upgrade to a 512 GB solid state hard drive. When I was consulting and working from home it did well with my really large assemblies using SW2018. I had assemblies with thousands of parts and it handled it fine. I'm sure you can get a much better computer now than I did 3 years ago for the same price. I can hook you up with SW if you shoot me a DM

View attachment 225875
yeah so theres where i said the card matters and also doesnt. the 1080 is a geforce card which isnt certified for sw but did just fine. i was using the same card in my desktop for the last 4 years or so till i finally upgraded to a rtx series card. the performance is there obviously, but the "gaming" card never held me from doing my job...the ig posts just werent as cool looking lmao

Latest posts

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds