SolidWorks Help & Questions ---

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

P.R.exploder69

Mega Member
May 7, 2008
phoenix, az
So, this thread is going to be for Solidworks questions and help stuff. (not ur guys mawms, like you would like)

I couldn't find another thread like this one in the "search bar" but, i know that thing sucks and i wouldn't be surprised if i started another thread just like this a week ago and already forgot. hah. who gives a fuck. this site is going downhill fast so, whats one more thread..... hah

now, i got my degree a while ago in Auto CAD stuff and i remember 90% of the commands to that (after my faceplant) so, i have the basics/terminology down. i think. hah

looking for what you guys or others used for YouTube videos or channels TO learn solidworks. my cousin taught himself from youtube videos but he just gave me a general "look at them all, he doesnt know". haha.
which i started doing at work just now but, just asking if theres any specific channels or videos to watch that really helped someone/ur mawm out.........

SMAAANKS! 😘 😘 😘

DirtFiend602

DR Maitre'D
Dec 12, 2008
The 'surface flatten' feature is a big help when working with tangent faces in a part youre trying to convert to sheet metal to flatten. 'Unfold' won't work in some situations especially when working with an imported step file with mesh faces as it doesn't recognize it as a face in many cases.

Also solidworks is super engaged on linked in, and constantly offer free content for training and education.

Reactions: P.R.exploder69

P.R.exploder69

Mega Member
May 7, 2008
phoenix, az
Vertnaux1 seems like a good basics channel.
i'll report back after doing a few videos...........

bullnerd

Feb 1, 2008
No advice on where to look, but I will encourage you to stick with it! No matter what, don't stop until you know it!

I'm super thick headed when it comes to computers and always give up after getting frustrated and then get more frustrated after not knowing how to use it.

I can use Fusion 360 a bit, but still struggle.

Reactions: P.R.exploder69

P.R.exploder69

Mega Member
May 7, 2008
phoenix, az
No advice on where to look, but I will encourage you to stick with it! No matter what, don't stop until you know it!

I'm super thick headed when it comes to computers and always give up after getting frustrated and then get more frustrated after not knowing how to use it.

I can use Fusion 360 a bit, but still struggle.

Ill stick with it just like i stuck with ur mawm.......................

no but seriously, ok. will do. its not so much that i cant fucking figure things out but, i have a reallllllllllllly hard time just sitting and not doing anything now. so, just sitting and following along with the vids is kinda getting to me already. hah.
but, okie dokie. ill just stick it out

Drayke

Always Baja Bound
Jan 29, 2007
Torrance
i don't really have any reference materials for you but I'll give you my advice since I've been working with cad for a long time now.

For beginners, when you are designing a thing try to think about how that thing would be made and draw it the same way.
So if you're going to machine it from a block, for example, start by drawing a big block, then start cutting away stuff until you get the part you want. That will force you to think about how the machine is going make your pockets, holes, flanges etc.

Although not the most efficient way to draw every part, it's a good starting practice while you learn what all the different features do within solidworks and how to best use them to start drawing faster and faster to get the end result you need.
just my $.02

jonsangel

Apr 13, 2009
Los Angeles
I initially learned using the built in tutorials. Anything where you're following along with the instructions will be your best bet. 16 years later I'm still learning new features or better way to do things. Post up if you ever get stuck. Once you learn how to use it you'll never go back. I hate going into the garage to build things without the design already figured out.

Reactions: smokeysevin

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds