SolidWorks Help & Questions ---

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

P.R.exploder69

Mega Member
May 7, 2008
phoenix, az
Once you learn how to use it you'll never go back. I hate going into the garage to build things without the design already figured out.

hah trust me i know exactly what you mean by this. once i got good in AutoCAD, i fucking hated doing everything just off of ideas or shit my dad or someone blabbered out one day. hahah

Reactions: jonsangel

bullnerd

Feb 1, 2008
i don't really have any reference materials for you but I'll give you my advice since I've been working with cad for a long time now.

For beginners, when you are designing a thing try to think about how that thing would be made and draw it the same way.
So if you're going to machine it from a block, for example, start by drawing a big block, then start cutting away stuff until you get the part you want. That will force you to think about how the machine is going make your pockets, holes, flanges etc.

Although not the most efficient way to draw every part, it's a good starting practice while you learn what all the different features do within solidworks and how to best use them to start drawing faster and faster to get the end result you need.
just my $.02

I worked at a company shop that used SW and when my boss went to lunch I was allowed to use his computer to practice.(Why does my hand smell like weed everyday after lunch? lol! ) Also, he was slowly teaching me when we had time, this is exactly how he was teaching me. I started working in machine shops in 91, learned mastercam 9 and used it for many years, none of the shops I went to after used SW so I never learned it until this place. Now I want to learn Fusion more better for the modeling and CAM capability.

Good luck again dude and post what you draw.

Ryan Jubera

Apr 12, 2008
Hemet
So, this thread is going to be for Solidworks questions and help stuff. (not ur guys mawms, like you would like)

I couldn't find another thread like this one in the "search bar" but, i know that thing sucks and i wouldn't be surprised if i started another thread just like this a week ago and already forgot. hah. who gives a fuck. this site is going downhill fast so, whats one more thread..... hah

now, i got my degree a while ago in Auto CAD stuff and i remember 90% of the commands to that (after my faceplant) so, i have the basics/terminology down. i think. hah

looking for what you guys or others used for YouTube videos or channels TO learn solidworks. my cousin taught himself from youtube videos but he just gave me a general "look at them all, he doesnt know". haha.
which i started doing at work just now but, just asking if theres any specific channels or videos to watch that really helped someone/ur mawm out.........

SMAAANKS!
When I started I typically just looked for exactly what I wanted. Never really did a general learning. The problem is everyone designs different. I know a lot of people use solid models and then convert them to sheet metal and or lay sheet metal on top of an under sized part. I do it completely different that my buddy that thought me the basics. I would just search for what u are looking for.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

smokeysevin

is Ron Burgundy?
Dec 28, 2012
Houston
Fusion is largely based on Inventor which I prefer to Solidworks. Mostly personal preference, its all the same shit with different color buttons.

If you have a .edu email address you can get inventor free with a student license for like a year or something.

One thing that will be useful for this type of fab is learning the sheetmetal tools in whatever flavor of cad you end up with.

Sean

Reactions: DirtFiend602

P.R.exploder69

Mega Member
May 7, 2008
phoenix, az
i know this is all stupid as fuck simple shit to everyone else, and honestly it kinda is for me to, but im just trying to get shit drawn and diff ways to do things in my head. plus im just following every tutorial i can..........

Reactions: bullnerd

P.R.exploder69

Mega Member
May 7, 2008
phoenix, az
OK NOW.............. currrently trying to google/youtube this but im not finding shit for 2019 sollidworks.

i made a BS table out of swuare tube..........

how do i get/print a cut list???
it tells me to right click where it says "cut list" in the tree manager, go down to click "options" but............ there no options buttton to click on. on either the specific part/body i choose or the general "cut list"

Drayke

Always Baja Bound
Jan 29, 2007
Torrance
personally i'm distrustful of automated cut lists & tables from CAD. I usually end up making my own spreadsheet or drawing to double check what the CAD output was and by that point I just did all the work myself anyway.

Reactions: smokeysevin

P.R.exploder69

Mega Member
May 7, 2008
phoenix, az
personally i'm distrustful of automated cut lists & tables from CAD. I usually end up making my own spreadsheet or drawing to double check what the CAD output was and by that point I just did all the work myself anyway.

yeah i know what you mean. but, im just trying to get the hang of everything.

either way.... im dumb dumb.
i figured it out. i need to 'MAKE A DRAWING" first, insert the part, THEN i can insert a cut list.
i got it, i got it now. i think.

the solidworks guy at work just showed me.

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds