Sort of like a Jeepspeed XJ

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

SByota

Jul 16, 2003
Brass is grabby. You have to be real careful drilling it on the lathe with the tailstock. It will suck the drill in and break it off.
It takes more work. But I've found that making an arbor to hold bushings makes for easier and safer machining.
Definitely a learning experience. My butthole puckered real tight when that bushing came flying out of the lathe at Mach 1.

I had access to a real metal shop in high school. It had full size lathes and mills. The teacher was a grouchy old fuck, but had endless knowledge. He was willing to teach if you kept you stupid kid mouth shut and listened. I took advantage of his welding/metal fab knowledge. Obviously, not enough of his machine operation instruction.

Bertismyname

Oct 1, 2018
San Diego
Watch abom79 on YouTube. He has some basic things he does over and over on each project. I've learned alot about lathe operations by watching him. You might have had some run out or too deep of a cut. Ridgidity and minimal turnout are you friends.

SByota

Jul 16, 2003
Also pulled the bumps and shortened them to 2”. I’ve been trying to make the rear end work better. Let’s see if this helps.

While I was under there, I noticed all the oil spots WTF......

Quickly spotted the wet spot and on the driver front. I just changed those axle seals too. The shitty part is I have to pull the carrier to replace the seal. It never ends...
EB8B7401-7A3A-4D69-94A5-17B11CE97FE2.jpeg
EC3FB9A7-31EB-4D4C-B065-247C9C87A161.jpeg

Latest posts

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds