Still chasing the clunk in the front end. Found some play in the slip yoke of the front driveshaft. I originally extended a slip yoke with a sleeve, it worked, but I wanted to make a shaft with the correct length. I built a whole new shaft using a junk yard shaft. I’m pretty sure the slip yoke/splines were questionable when I started. When I yank on it, there is definitely movement/noise.
The factory spline size is 1.25” OD and only 2 of spline engagement, which is pretty tiny. I think when the front axle is cycling, it beats the shit out of the splines, especially when it droops and stops suddenly.
I ordered up some bigger splines and a longer forged yoke. It’s 1.375 OD and will have 5”+ of engagement. The splines only slip 3/8” from bump to droop.
I had to machine down the stub shaft from 1.75” to 1.50“. It went perfect. The factory lathe job was .005” out of round. My job ended up at .001”, not bad for my little crappy lathe.
I ran out of time today, hopefully I’ll get it welded up tomorrow.