Sort of like a Jeepspeed XJ

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

SByota

Jul 16, 2003
when you say "high speed damping" are you talking about large g outs/hard hits or chatter bump type stuff?
Large G outs and big hits. I’m content with the small chatter performance. I don’t want to make the small chatter any different, just add more valving for bigger hits. I’ve gone up
on valving 3 times now and it just keeps getting better.

84projectford

Sep 8, 2010
Phoenix Az
Large G outs and big hits. I’m content with the small chatter performance. I don’t want to make the small chatter any different, just add more valving for bigger hits. I’ve gone up
on valving 3 times now and it just keeps getting better.
have you tried upping nitrogen pressure yet or played with IFP location?

partybarge_pilot

Uno mas Cervesa!
May 14, 2004
Boringsville
Don’t put that evil on me!!!

I’m kinda afraid that may be the case. Maybe TTB’s will happen sooner than later. Do you think Dana 35 stuff will survive under the XJ on 35’s?
D35 snouts are fine. Diff? Axles? I don't know enough about them to make that call. I have used the snouts and hubs on several 2WD builds for Toyota's to keep the same lug pattern.

84projectford

Sep 8, 2010
Phoenix Az
if you go D44 outers for the d44 stubs and outer u-joints, they are pretty stout. the ring gear is about a half inch larger than the 30 you have in the front end but in an aluminum case. really, ive only seen exploders blow the outer stubs. once you upgrade that, not real sure. i would guess either the inner joint will go or R&P when rock crawling

mjlogan

space cadet
Feb 9, 2007
ontario ca
I’m kinda afraid that may be the case. Maybe TTB’s will happen sooner than later. Do you think Dana 35 stuff will survive under the XJ on 35’s?
Yes. Stock for stock everything in a D35 TTB is as strong or stronger than a D30 straight axle. U joints are the weak link in both. D35 stock locking hubs will blow up sometimes but those are a convenient fuse that take only a few minutes to change out. You can upgrade to the Warn ones to get rid of that too.

If you are really beating on it with a locker then you'll destroy shit on either a stock D30 or a D35 with 35's though.

SByota

Jul 16, 2003
have you tried upping nitrogen pressure yet or played with IFP location?
I have not. The front shocks have bottom mounted piggyback reservoir. I’ve always just bottomed out the ifp then let it come up when I seated the seal head. Currently running 200 psi.

84projectford

Sep 8, 2010
Phoenix Az
I have not. The front shocks have bottom mounted piggyback reservoir. I’ve always just bottomed out the ifp then let it come up when I seated the seal head. Currently running 200 psi.
ah then that dont matter. 200 might actually be high.

i would try a 12 biggest dia, 15 next smallest, rest all 20's

Reactions: SByota

SByota

Jul 16, 2003
D35 snouts are fine. Diff? Axles? I don't know enough about them to make that call. I have used the snouts and hubs on several 2WD builds for Toyota's to keep the same lug pattern.
if you go D44 outers for the d44 stubs and outer u-joints, they are pretty stout. the ring gear is about a half inch larger than the 30 you have in the front end but in an aluminum case. really, ive only seen exploders blow the outer stubs. once you upgrade that, not real sure. i would guess either the inner joint will go or R&P when rock crawling
Yes. Stock for stock everything in a D35 TTB is as strong or stronger than a D30 straight axle. U joints are the weak link in both. D35 stock locking hubs will blow up sometimes but those are a convenient fuse that take only a few minutes to change out. You can upgrade to the Warn ones to get rid of that too.

If you are really beating on it with a locker then you'll destroy shit on either a stock D30 or a D35 with 35's though.
I like the idea of keeping my same bolt pattern. D35 makes the packaging way easier on the XJ chassis. I really only use 4x4 as a security blanket and mild trails. No real rock crawling. I have lots of reading on TTB to do.

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds