Sort of like a Jeepspeed XJ

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

SByota

Jul 16, 2003
Just got back from KOH. Saw trucks go fast, drank all the beers and told lies at camp. Jeep did great with the new valving. I did a combo stack in the front 12,15,15,20,20,20. Major improvement in overall handling. The shocks get REALLY hot now after an extended run at “speed”. They never seemed to fade, but definitely hotter than they have ever been. The only Jeep casualty was a bump striker pad ejected itself somewhere along the way. No idea how it got out of the coil spring.

My buddy Steve just picked up a 1st Gen tundra with a Camburg long travel kit and spring under Deavers/king 2.5 bypass. He beat the living shit out of it, it did surprisingly good until he found a big G out. Smashed the front bumper into the radiator.

Made it back to camp and realized the radiator was done. He headed to Yucca Valley to get parts and we pulled it apart. Got him back together and running in a few hours.

The next day he thinks he is BJ Baldwin on the King Shock test track and smashes the front end into a big ass embedded rock when the bottomed the front.

Bent the shit out of the rear engine crossmember. And twisted the rack all up. Limped it back to camp....again. It’s going to need some major surgery to be right again. I may be the one doing it.

When he left, truck was driving with power steering. I learned later when I got service, the rack barfed the fluid on the freeway. The carrier bearing also blew out at basically the same time. He patched it back together and drove home without power steering.

Great trip, good memories and lots of dirt miles.
C631C1F2-5BD0-4A18-B87F-417417A6591A.jpeg
C83448D6-5B12-4D61-B98C-E92BCED63A0B.jpeg

SByota

Jul 16, 2003
Now that the Jeep is pretty well dialed and mostly complete....it’s probably time to sell it and start a new project. What’s it’s worth?

1997 XJ
126k miles
Custom 3 link front end, axle pushed forward 4”
Deaver leaf springs
King 2.5 shocks all four corners
Full cage
Frame reinforcement plates
WJ brakes, ZJ rear disc brakes
Both axles trussed, 4:88 gears, rear locker

lots more, but there are the highlights.

SByota

Jul 16, 2003
chrysler 8.25 in the rear or D35?

126k is "low miles" for a cherocar. ill bet you get 10-15k for that thing right now. market is dumb
Chrysler 8.25”, I’m thinking it’s worth about the same. I see people getting 7k+ for some pretty beat to shit XJ’s with lift kits and 200k miles.

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds