Stupid question but I still help

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

YungICY

Feb 3, 2013
Las Vegas
Hey guys I’m thinking about finally getting around to doing the swing steering on my unequal length ranger. I’m just running the stock knuckles and I’m curious what you guys have done as far as drilling out the hole on the factory steering arm to run a bolt through the heim and arm. I bought some heims with I believe 5/8ths misaligns ( I bought them a while back so I don’t remember exactly but it was a smidge bigger than the larger taper on the factory arm) but that seems like too much to hog out. What have you guys done here?

Also, does anyone know how to access the archived threads on here? I was able to find a thread or two that probably answered my question for me but they were archived and the link would redirect to the home page.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crazyracer

Tres Cuatro Tacos
Sep 27, 2006
Pacific Beach, CA
I used a reamer for my knuckles that punched out the diameter to 5/8" if I recall correctly. Did it with a drill without removing the knuckle - super easy. Reamers are expensive though, so I borrowed one from a buddy.

Can't help with your 2nd question.

YungICY

Feb 3, 2013
Las Vegas
I used a reamer for my knuckles that punched out the diameter to 5/8" if I recall correctly. Did it with a drill without removing the knuckle - super easy. Reamers are expensive though, so I borrowed one from a buddy.

Can't help with your 2nd question.
Wait, so did you still use a tapered style bolt or just go 5/8ths clean through?

I’m just worried about if I go 5/8ths clean through the remaining material will be too thin.

marcytech

Mega Member
Mar 16, 2011
mine use a 5/8 bolt on ranger knuckles. definitely plenty of material left over

YungICY

Feb 3, 2013
Las Vegas
Thanks guys. I appreciate it.

And on a side note I was able to access older archives by using the search bar at least on the mobile version of the site.

Bertismyname

Oct 1, 2018
San Diego
reamers are cheap at k surplus here in san Diego. If anyone on here is in the s.d. area and hasn't been there you are missing out big time. Bought 5/8×5" f911 there. Spent 15 dollars for 8 of them and a shit ton of half inch grade 8. They do online sales too.

crazyracer

Tres Cuatro Tacos
Sep 27, 2006
Pacific Beach, CA
I used a reamer that leaves a nice clean straight bore. Coulda drilled them with a two-flute drill, but a reamer leaves a better hole finish.

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds