T1 FUN - 1998 Toyota T100 SR5 4x4, 5-spd, TRD Supercharged

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

SoupGFX

Dec 6, 2013
San Diego
Ha! No. Was I suppose to? I was driving the truck the whole time I was modifying those arms. If you look at one of the early images of the arm, part of the process is to tack weld on a piece of flat stock to keep the distance the same. As well as using some all thread and bolts to keep the warping at a minimum when welding. The recommended welding process was to weld in a lot of steps and let each bead cool before doing more. Looks like I was mildly successful keeping the warpage from happening.

SoupGFX

Dec 6, 2013
San Diego
Yo Ho!! (@Horunner) Any opinion on running a coil over with your stock upper control arms? What's your opinion on removing all the bump stop brackets (upper and lower ones) and replacing them with a single bump shock and a limiter strap?

Turboyota

Mar 29, 2017
Yucaipa
I think coilover will fit with significant trimming to the EXTENDED stock uppers that I made that are on @Horunner ‘s truck.

I have doubts that they will fit on the blazeland arms.

Reactions: SoupGFX

desert_steve

Oct 21, 2007
phelan, ca
Ive always had a soft spot for the T100s.

If I was in your shoes and not planning on bombing this thing down any race courses and use it as a play truck, I'd keep the stock rubber bump stops, run the sway-away torsions, and a well-valved shock and call it a day.

I ran the OG TC caddy kit on my 4runner with a bypass and swayaway torsions and it was great. The only reason I eventually upgraded to C/Os was because I was terrified of breaking torsion keys and getting stranded in the middle of BFE.

Reactions: SoupGFX

dose

Jan 4, 2018
Mammoth Lakes CA
Good job on the lowers but no way the uppers will clear a coilover.
It looks like you defiantly have the skills to make a jig for the upper and ditch the blazelane extension. Upper clearance gets really tight at droop so you want room for the coil to be able to go almost all the way to the ball joint. I applaud your decision to spend the money on tools and build your self. They pay for themselves quick.

SoupGFX

Dec 6, 2013
San Diego
Thanks guys for the input. I've decided to go against my new plans to throw a coil over in and just go with the original plan of torsion bar and standard shock (Bielstein). Your concerns about the coil over fitting through the upper control arm prompted me to contact the owner of Blazeland. He suggested against it as well since he said it was never really meant for that kind of setup. He did send these pictures of some customers running COs.

So I plan on running it as intended and run that for a while. Then shift my focus on getting the rear end setup with the Deavers.

I do like the idea of making my own upper control arms. Never thought of doing that but seems like a fun fab project for my fledgling fab skills. Thanks for that idea.

Tools... Must have more tools!!!

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds