T1 FUN - 1998 Toyota T100 SR5 4x4, 5-spd, TRD Supercharged

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

dsrtrcr01

Jan 31, 2005
I like it so far. you planning on adding any diagonals to the top bar? Say from the top Of the shock mounting location OR where that yellow clamp is into where the top of your PVC "A" is? Making those removable would be an idea so if you are loading a lot you can have more bed space and then put them in when beating on the truck. I just see inward pressure on the shock mounts... Where the pressure on the shock wants to push them towards the center of the truck and the only thing holding them in the rear is that one tube on top of the frame.

I will add I have never built a bed cage like this one so if someone else has let me know if I am wrong.

Reactions: SoupGFX

xridesbikex

OG Member
Aug 6, 2007
Upland, Ca
The design works, built a few bed cages like that. You can add gussets where the legs hit the frame. That will help to keep the shocks from flexing the tubes inward or outward.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

SoupGFX

Dec 6, 2013
San Diego
Good point. I think I'll throw in some small gussets to beef up the support. Don't want to do the full length though because I'm trying to maintain as much bed space as possible.

xridesbikex

OG Member
Aug 6, 2007
Upland, Ca
Yeah just some little guys that go over the top of the frame a little in that void between the bed and frame. Then go up as high as you can until the radius wants to hit the bottom of the bed.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

the bodj

1st post pg805
Mar 4, 2010
Moorpark
Add something from the upper shock mount down to the frame. I think it's best either directly down, or down at an angle to the front mount.

85yota

TT Motorsports
Nov 18, 2004
Santa Maria, CA
www.tt-motorsports.com
Bedcage looks good but I would add a diagonal like this down to the frame and you won't have any problems after that. I have seen similar setups like you have no that the tube down to bumpstop failed and bedcage bent up because of that. Don't let that happen.

bedcage add.jpg

SoupGFX

Dec 6, 2013
San Diego
Coming down to the wire (leave for Death Valley on Weds) but more progress... Welded in the cage, put in the leafs, bump stops, limit straps, dropped off the drive shaft to get balanced, got new tires, plugged in all the brake lines, hooked up a couple of little things here and there.

Left to do:
Hang the fiberglass
Bleed the brakes
Hook up the gas tank
Fill shocks and bumps with nitrogen (any idea of psi for both?)
Alignment on Tuesday
Cross my fingers that this thing will actually drive straight

If any of you guys want to meet up, we'll be doing North DV this year. 250+ miles mapped out. Tent camping each night. Starting and stopping point is Lone Pine. Let me know.

SByota

Jul 16, 2003
Looks good. You have plenty of time to get it done! It’s not even an official trip unless you are thrashing in the garage the night before you leave.

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds