The Baja350 - A Dentside Story

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

JusSumGuoy

Old Skool Ford Freak
Feb 20, 2008
Huntington Beach, CA
You're definitely in the shitty, time consuming phase. Patience with the BS here will pay off later though for sure. I don't envy you in this stage as it does suck. I spent waaaaaay too much time just staring at my projects over the years for the exact same reason. You're making progress though and soon enough you'll get to melt some metal and start on more fun shit.

Frame front section looks good there! Pictures and posts like this showing the "after" make it look so easy and you can often forget how much time goes in to getting those 2 pieces together.

Reactions: Drayke

Drayke

Always Baja Bound
Jan 29, 2007
Torrance
rofl.
Those ones are way better than these chinese things I got.

I was originally worried about space between frame and ground from my first-cut measurements. But once I leveled the truck I gave myself a good face-palm because the nicer ones would have then fit. Ah well.

Drayke

Always Baja Bound
Jan 29, 2007
Torrance
Got the frame squared up & leveled. Also had my buddy come by again & double-check that I didn't miss something stupid and we decided that it was good. So I tack'd 'er up.

The frames lined up pretty damn close on width and height right where we made the cut but they're not perfect.
The new frame is only something like 1/4" wider. That's not a big deal. What's more problematic is that the new frame has a little bit of a twist to it at this joint and it's a touch taller. Hard to tell in the pictures how the twist is impacting things but basically on one side the new frame has the top-side sticking out further than the bottom and on the other it's the bottom side that is wider.

So the plan is to tack up the segments of the c-channel verticals & bottom-sides where I made the frames flush. Leaving some slight misalignment on the other segments that will need to be heated & beated with a torch + porta-power down the road. That and a little pie-cut to the overhangs to get things to line back up. I don't want to do any of that until I'm 100% sure that I have the wheelbase located properly though. Which means I need beams + fenders to mock up and check that. When I go to burn everything in eventually then I can work this joint to it's final config.

Here's a look at what i'm talking about:

JusSumGuoy

Old Skool Ford Freak
Feb 20, 2008
Huntington Beach, CA
Looking good!

I knew the frames we close but that's pretty dang good. I get the annoyance of the twist and have to blend things a bit, but I'd be satisfied with how close the things are at the start!

Drayke

Always Baja Bound
Jan 29, 2007
Torrance
but I'd be satisfied with how close the things are at the start!
Oh believe me I'm not upset about this minor misalignment. I was baffled they were so close that I had my buddy come over to fact-check me. I was saying "no freaking way is it going to be this straightforward, i must have screwed up a measurement"

plan to run an overlay too?
Yes. When i'm sure the wheelbase is close enough and I don't need to modify the frame further I'll get this joint dialed in with doublers, overlays, boxing out etc.

Latest posts

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds