The Baja350 - A Dentside Story

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

Drayke

Always Baja Bound
Jan 29, 2007
Torrance
I went to my buddy's ranch for the weekend to do a little partying, swimming, etc.
He happened to have that 6.0 LQ4 sitting around as a spare for his built motor but decided that he wasn't actually going to do anything with it. so he gave it to me for either $0 or $500 depending on what it looks like inside when I tear it down.

Reactions: ucd baja

Drayke

Always Baja Bound
Jan 29, 2007
Torrance
'bout got the motor stripped down. ready for the pressure washer then torn all the way apart & off to the machine shop.

Picking up a 4L80 tomorrow.

Anyone have a recommendation for transmission builders anywhere near south bay, los angeles?

Drayke

Always Baja Bound
Jan 29, 2007
Torrance
So the engine I picked up looks to have spun a bearing and had been sitting for who knows how long because it was pretty raunchy. I tore it completely apart and found all sorts of schmoo in the cylinders and some visible grooving in the rod bearings. The good news is that i couldn't *feel* the grooves so I'm fairly confident that everything can be saved. The engine is basically a core that needs a full refurb - so my friend didn't charge me anything. Thanks amigo!

Dropped it off at the machine shop this morning, it'll get blasted, cleaned & magnafluxed to validate that the block is okay.
if yes: bore+hone. Crank recondition. New pistons & connecting rods. Heads cleaned, valve job & grind/lap. New bearings in everything.
This engine is an '02 and the piston/rods are the pressfit style and are not refurbishable, or at least the price delta is relatively insignificant compared to getting a later model floating wrist pin style (according to the shop). So we're going that direction.

not cheap, but i'll be happy to know the engine has been 100% gone through.
I'll be throwing an aftermarket cam, valve springs, rockers & pushrods at this bitch too.
Assembly will be done by me to try and save a grand or two.

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
You mentioned floating wrist pins are in the newer LQ models?

what years should I look for so i can get that from beginning??

Drayke

Always Baja Bound
Jan 29, 2007
Torrance
You mentioned floating wrist pins are in the newer LQ models?

what years should I look for so i can get that from beginning??
i'm not 100%, the guy at the shop informed me of that this morning. Some quick googling looks like 2004 and up changed to floating.

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
yea, i was googling too after reading this.... couldn't seem to find straight answer. Seems like the LQ9 had um from get go too?

I guess I shouldn't care too much if i am staying stock with mild cam. I just need to find one running with low miles.. that doesn't look like ^^^ that inside!

Drayke

Always Baja Bound
Jan 29, 2007
Torrance
In other news, the LQ4 turned out to have a cracked head according to the shop, most likely caused by overheating. The crack explains why one bank of cylinders looked like it had been sitting in water for a while.
I ended up looking through some classifieds and found a guy local to me that had a set of the same LQ4 heads (317 casting) that have already been machined & reconditioned for just a couple hundred bucks. Sweet.

Latest posts

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds