The Baja350 - A Dentside Story

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

Drayke

Always Baja Bound
Jan 29, 2007
Torrance
Got the engine painted. went with Ford blue for the block, covers, and heads. Then just some basic gloss black for the valve covers and oil pan.
I'm pretty happy with it. Looking to assemble the thing in the next few weeks.

Related: picked up a free NP246 from a buddy. It's a t-case that has an option for "auto 4wd" but also has selectable 4x4.
So it's electric shift and has a bunch of clutches and whatnot that it used to engage 4x4 based on (I'm sure) a bunch of sensors and some logic in the factory ECU.
My question: is there any hope of trying to make this thing electronically shifted but standalone?
Is there a better t-case out there for this concept?

I like the idea of an electrically shifted tcase as it better aligns with my vision for the interior, but if it's too huge a hassle i may just scrub that idea.

Last edited:

84projectford

Sep 8, 2010
Phoenix Az
i dont see you making the auto 4x4 working correctly without an abs unit, speed sensors and so on. Thats how it knows how to apply more power to the encoder motor and enguage the clutches. the encoder motor is very well known to go out as well. you might still be able to use it as a regular t-case with just normal 2wd/4wd/4low but i dont know if the center diff "locks" when used as normal or if the encoder motor just puts more pressure on the clutches. that 246 probably wont even work with the 4l80 as the spline count is most likely different

Honestly, you might be better off with a NP241 or NP261 or NP263. you still need a TCCM for the 241 or 263 to shift it electroniclly but might be able to make that stand alone as there is no center diff bull shit. the NP261 is a floor shift model thats pretty straight forward. no TCCM needed. teh 261 or 263 came in chevys HD line up and possibly some suburbans if they had the big block. since you have a 4l80, look for a chevy 6.0 2500 and up from 99-07 and suburban in the same years. 1500 will have the 246 bs. pre 99 will have the 241 in 1500s and light duty suburbans/tahoes.

Last edited:

Drayke

Always Baja Bound
Jan 29, 2007
Torrance
thanks for all the info!
I should have been more clear originally - i don't want auto 4x4. I just want electrically shifted selectable 4x4.
This t-case just happens to have been free and was originally used as an automatic 4x4 system on top of selectable.

84projectford

Sep 8, 2010
Phoenix Az
thanks for all the info!
I should have been more clear originally - i don't want auto 4x4. I just want electrically shifted selectable 4x4.
This t-case just happens to have been free and was originally used as an automatic 4x4 system on top of selectable.
I’d ditch it. There’s a reason it’s free lol. You will probably be best off looking for a 241c. 263 and 261 go for 600-800 good used unless you come across a deal.

Reactions: Drayke

Drayke

Always Baja Bound
Jan 29, 2007
Torrance
good points all around. It was free because the guy bought a whole drivetrain takeout for a rock buggy and is going to an atlas... but also because it sounds like this t-case only wants to work in factory settings lol.

Thanks for the recommendation Brett, i had another friend suggest the same. I'll look into it.

84projectford

Sep 8, 2010
Phoenix Az
i would not use a solenoid. easy way to damage the shift forks inside and it would require micro switches to stop it at certain points. better off using a TCCM at that point.

Drayke

Always Baja Bound
Jan 29, 2007
Torrance
better off using a TCCM at that point.
I could get on board with that. Know of a standalone one that works with any GM driver-drop transfer case?

I'm planning on using the FI Tech ECU w/ trans controller to operate the 4L80 but I haven't bought it yet. I wonder if they have a module to operate a t-case. Seems worth a call or e-mail.

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds