The Baja350 - A Dentside Story

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

yltaco05

Jan 18, 2006
Fullerton, CA
Ill definitely be watching that progress. Ive been thinking of LS /4l80 swap or rebuilt 351w with a C6 in the bronco for phase 2 (if there's a phase 2), either one the FI tech is on the list so I'm curious how it works out for ya.

84projectford

Sep 8, 2010
Phoenix Az
they basically already are.

little info on a colorado t-case (passenger drop but same principle)

just search a pin out, find a switch, give it power/ground, fuck bitches

Reactions: Drayke

JusSumGuoy

Old Skool Ford Freak
Feb 20, 2008
Huntington Beach, CA
Well here's the text that was supposed to go with that image...

Just stumbled across this and subbing so I can watch the antics.

To answer some of the chit that has been brought up but I don't think has been determined yet:
You figured out you got an SCS (super camper special) truck. The odd ass 140" wheel base comes with the axle in a weird spot. The beds are rare-ish like someone said, but I had a pristine one I couldn't give away here in OC about 7-8 years ago. Ended up scrapping it & guys across the rust belt cried over the interwebs. None of them had the cash to ship it out even if I GAVE it to them though.
For when you make this thing into a normal wheel base, YES the 80-96 beds are internally the same as the 73-79 and if I remember right een the bumpsides. For funzies here's an '87 bed sitting on my '74 supercab. Just put the dentside bedsides on any you're ALMOST good to go. I say almost as that beast you got has narrower rear frame rails than the 2wd trucks of the 70's or the 80-96 trucks. The SCS trucks and "high boys" (F-250 & 350 4wds from '73 to '77.5) had the 34" spread on the framerails vs. 37". So you'll have to figure out some different mount for the bed. Cool thing is it's super easy to fit shocks outboard of the frame rails out back on these...
Oh and the gas tank in the back of that thing can bring you a bit of cash if you put a cell in the truck. Due to it fitting between the narrow frame rails the highboy guys like to grab them so as to get the tanks out of the cabs.

Drayke

Always Baja Bound
Jan 29, 2007
Torrance
Epic informative post, thanks amigo!

I think the route i'm probably going to pursue is getting some hashed 80-96 bed, cutting off the bed & hanging dentside shortbed fiberglass as a few of ya'll have suggested.
Even if nobody wants the SCS longbed, the passenger side has this funny hump for the spare tire that will get in the way.
Great info on the fuel tanks, thanks for the heads up. Mine has two tanks and I expect that i'm going to get rid of both of them.

I've been leaving this thread a bit dry since not a ton has happened lately.
I sold the 246 transfer case.
Been mostly focused on trying to get my F100 ready & fixed up for the remaining few trips before I try to sell it to fund the rest of this build.

I've been slowly putting the LS together & hit a snag where I forgot to buy a new cam retainer plate (mine had a tired gasket) & forgot to get a timing chain damper mount. My old block doesn't have the mounting provisions for the damper so I had to find a conversion. easy peasy, only $40 and it should be here tomorrow.

Reactions: crazyracer

JusSumGuoy

Old Skool Ford Freak
Feb 20, 2008
Huntington Beach, CA
Yeah, the SCS beds have that weird ass bump in them. It does get in the way for what we do. And that bed in the picture above I got in a sweet deal... My '74 supercab bed was beat = no tailgate, a little rust in the floor & one tail light area had been hit & was crinkled pretty good with some half assed repairs barely started on it. I got that '87 bed (which wasn't perfect on the bedsides, but the inside/bed floor was better than my stock one) and $125 cash for my beat stock bed. I think I even sold the '75 tailgate for $50 or something. Point being - try & work a deal. The 80-96 beds always seem to be around and people who may want your bed will find you a different bed just to get yours. The guy who took my supercab bed bought that '87 one just to trade me.

For the fuel tank - only the rear one like where a typical spare would go is worth anything, and then again only really to a specific group. It's worth trying to sell though.

And you're putting the motor/trans I always really wanted for mine in so I'm a bit jealous.

Drayke

Always Baja Bound
Jan 29, 2007
Torrance
Just put a deposit down on a set of Cho's fully fab'd D44 beams. very exciting.
But now I need some feedback from the peanut gallery:
What's the best way to keep a common lug pattern (5x5.5 or 8x6.5) front-to-back without a) spending damn near $9k or b) hackFab'ing things.

All the 8 lug conversions for dana 44 seem a little hack running factory parts and will require custom RCV axles.
Rear axle is currently a Dana70 that I had hoped to keep but don't have to. (8x6.5) Worried about it being too narrow anyway.
Could go fully fab'd housing, but to keep full float & have a fabricated housing is between $6.5-8.5k.
Compared quick performance, trail gear (no 5x5.5) and camburg at the moment.
Any other ideas?

could do a semi-float fabricated housing for a reasonable $ total but why go from full-float to semi-float?

Reactions: charlie_brown

Turboyota

Mar 29, 2017
Yucaipa
My buddy just bought a Schreiner 40 Spline, 3.25” tube, heavy duty stamped 74” wide housing with steel hubs for $3000 shipped to Cali. Axles shipped separately from somewhere in the midwest, but were included in the cost.

3rd member from Quick Performance was an additional $900.

What was the ballpark cost on the Cho beams?

JusSumGuoy

Old Skool Ford Freak
Feb 20, 2008
Huntington Beach, CA
Just put a deposit down on a set of Cho's fully fab'd D44 beams. very exciting.
But now I need some feedback from the peanut gallery:
What's the best way to keep a common lug pattern (5x5.5 or 8x6.5) front-to-back without a) spending damn near $9k or b) hackFab'ing things.

All the 8 lug conversions for dana 44 seem a little hack running factory parts and will require custom RCV axles.
Rear axle is currently a Dana70 that I had hoped to keep but don't have to. (8x6.5) Worried about it being too narrow anyway.
Could go fully fab'd housing, but to keep full float & have a fabricated housing is between $6.5-8.5k.
Compared quick performance, trail gear (no 5x5.5) and camburg at the moment.
Any other ideas?

could do a semi-float fabricated housing for a reasonable $ total but why go from full-float to semi-float?
So this build just went more the way of my dreams... Engine I wanted and the d44 I wanted. Plus the 8 lug convert.

For the 8 lug conversion on the front - look at the knuckles and snouts from Flight Industries I think it is. Robert is the guys name & I have his cell if you can't track him down on the web. He has conversion snouts to run the d50 stuff = 8x6.5. From what I remember they run the factory d50 axles vs. the $$$$$ RCV.

For the rear hubs - solid industries I think it is makes conversion hubs for the d60 to 5x5.5, BUT they narrow the track width slightly = not what we want to do. From what I recall snouts on the d60 and 70 are the same so hubs should be interchangeable. It's been a long while & I am getting older now so fact check this shiz.

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
yea, i was going to suggest looking at schreiner too.

Speedway was also OK on price.. but they only 35 spline.

Latest posts

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds