The Baja350 - A Dentside Story

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

Drayke

Always Baja Bound
Jan 29, 2007
Torrance
Thanks for the references, guys!

RE: RCV Axles - my intent is to run manual locking hubs in the *locked* position while offroad in almost all scenarios. I also know from a few friends' experience that you have to grind the effff out of the factory u-joints in order to make the front ends cycle to the full potential. Those 2 things together mean I want some durable front axle shafts.

35 spline is okay in my book so long as it's full float.
My F100 has been running full float 31 spline axles for 9 years and never had an issue. *knock on wood*

JusSumGuoy

Old Skool Ford Freak
Feb 20, 2008
Huntington Beach, CA
My $0.02 (probably worth less than that!) is for 99% of the people 35 spline axles are even overkill. A LOT depends on tire size though. With the common size going bigger and bigger the need for larger axle dia. goes with it. With the big boys/TTs going up to 42's now everybody else is following suit and stepping up as well so they don't get lost in the 2 track ruts.
Long ago the norm was 33" tires. Then it was 35". Now it seems you're not cool unless you're running 37's or 39's.
I'd say it's pretty damned hard to break a 35 spline axle with 35" tires. Especially on full float. 37's are negligible and maybe the same. If you plan to run 39's or larger then sure, look into 40's, or if you're feeling rich even bigger. It's almost a bragging rights thing though.

dsrtrcr01

Jan 31, 2005
Broke 31 spline with 31 inch tires behind a stock 22re. Not all breakage comes from power or tire size.

Reactions: mikey09120

mounty71

Mega Member
Oct 18, 2007
San Francisco
Not sure how it works with Cho's beams, but @sc610 has D44/D50 hybrid beams (I think he grafted D50 beam ends onto the 44 so he could use stock D50 knuckles), and he was able to use Jeep JK axle shafts just made to a custom length. Hopefully he'll chime in and clarify.

dsrtrcr01

Jan 31, 2005
What did the breakage come from in this instance? One catastrophe, or long term lead footed abuse?
one shock load I would call it. Face of the 31 against a rock (Lots of traction) and then some revs while trying to get the truck up something and a clutch.

sc610

Jan 28, 2011
Santa Cruz
Not sure how it works with Cho's beams, but @sc610 has D44/D50 hybrid beams (I think he grafted D50 beam ends onto the 44 so he could use stock D50 knuckles), and he was able to use Jeep JK axle shafts just made to a custom length. Hopefully he'll chime in and clarify.
Yeah my beams are 44s with 50 ends grafted on. You can't put 50 ends onto a 44 beam, the ball joint spread is different. The only reason to do Dana 50 stuff is for the bigger shafts (which won't fit in the 44 beam).

I wouldn't be concerned with the strength of the shafts is full-time 4x4 as much as the longevity of the ujoints. But the nice thing about 44 parts is the huge aftermarket support for them and finding quality ujoints is easy.

Speaking from experience, I don't recommend the aftermarket/conversion hubs like solid industries makes. It just makes it a pain to keep track of the one off parts you need for brakes and wheel studs and whatnot.

Reactions: Drayke

Drayke

Always Baja Bound
Jan 29, 2007
Torrance
well... sold my '69 F100.
That was a sad day but the mourning is about over as I look forward to getting this project rolling.

I went and picked up a frame section off a buddy's 91 f150 & took it straight to the sandblaster. Ready to start cutting off brackets and getting ready to be moved over to the dentside. I don't expect that I'll use all of the frame but it's not impossible that I would do that either. Figured it's better to have more frame than less and they were going to scrap the truck anyway.

Then my intake manifold + ECU parts showed up from Summit. FiTech stuff.
Of course I had to plop the manifold on the engine and get a look at it.

Latest posts

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds