The DangerRanger

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register
Nov 9, 2008
Carolina South
I did this with my old 97 before i did the 5.0l swap. I still have the injectors and tuner. I just bought the center mount turbo header on sleezebay and a cheap china turbo. you can get away with 7-8psi but those engines have really soft cast pistons and detonation is a issue. I ran mine turboed for probably 6 years with no issues. cheap setup would be the above mentioned header and turbo, then an external wastegate, mustang 5.0 cobra maf and injectors, i had my intercooler in the skid plate and drilled and tapped the block fir the return, fairly easy and runs way better but it is also a ticking time bomb if you start going up on boost, I had mine at 12psi with meth injection and it finally popped a hole in the piston. and this was all just off the programmer I bought from a guy on ranger station that did tuning now you could take it to a dyno shop and actually tune it but at the time I was just wanting to do it cheap
That's awesome! Glad to find someone who's done it and it worked!

Everything I've been reading says I could book bolt on a manifold and plumb the turbo o and with stock everything else I could run up to 10psi.

I'm going to link the truck first then get to the turbo.

I'll have to pick your brain a bit when I get close to making it happen.
Lemme know if your interested in selling the injectors and tuner. Did you use a Garret T3 it the IHI?

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk

rangerjosh

Sep 4, 2009
it was a t3 china turbo i believe .53 turbine or .48. I would have to look. biggest thing was running the biggest intercooler you can to keep iat down as much as possible yeah if you want them just oay for the shipping you should be able to use the tuner on another ecm and it shouldnt lock up. on mine i deleted the egr, vented the crankcase to atmosphere and the regulator on the fuel rail worked fine no need to upgrade the fuel pump unless you end up putting some forged pistons in them the injectors wont keep up. and the reason for running the cobra maf and injectors is the stock maf pegged out and the cobra ones are basically matched. another thing i did was nake the maf a blow thru instead of a draw thru ie maf was in the charge pipe up by the throttle body insread of the inlet of the turbo, this way it meters the air going into the engine and you wont get afr rich spikes when shifting gears or revving it up in the mall parking lot and makes driveability way better.

Reactions: partybarge_pilot

rangerjosh

Sep 4, 2009
This one worked really good and didnt have a ton of lag. if you go to a ball bearing one it will be even better but i ran the smaller turbo so i would not lose a ton of low end but i believe that engine is around 9.5:1 compression so it wont be like an old 2 stroke motorcycle or a turbo car from the 80’s

rangerjosh

Sep 4, 2009
one more thing if you havent did it there is a trick where you flipped the plug wires on the front coil and it lets the two in each cylinder fire at the same time. this picks up a little throttle response. the factory has one fire on compression and the other on exhaust stroke for emission bs.

Nov 9, 2008
Carolina South
one more thing if you havent did it there is a trick where you flipped the plug wires on the front coil and it lets the two in each cylinder fire at the same time. this picks up a little throttle response. the factory has one fire on compression and the other on exhaust stroke for emission bs.
I need to know more about this!

Nov 9, 2008
Carolina South
it was a t3 china turbo i believe .53 turbine or .48. I would have to look. biggest thing was running the biggest intercooler you can to keep iat down as much as possible yeah if you want them just oay for the shipping you should be able to use the tuner on another ecm and it shouldnt lock up. on mine i deleted the egr, vented the crankcase to atmosphere and the regulator on the fuel rail worked fine no need to upgrade the fuel pump unless you end up putting some forged pistons in them the injectors wont keep up. and the reason for running the cobra maf and injectors is the stock maf pegged out and the cobra ones are basically matched. another thing i did was nake the maf a blow thru instead of a draw thru ie maf was in the charge pipe up by the throttle body insread of the inlet of the turbo, this way it meters the air going into the engine and you wont get afr rich spikes when shifting gears or revving it up in the mall parking lot and makes driveability way better.
So you have any pics of your setup?
I'll DM you about the injectors and tuner. Where's the bees place to pick up the MAF? Can I run it on my stock wiring?

Shopping list

84projectford

Sep 8, 2010
Phoenix Az
i will say this much about the chinese turbos, all the specs they list about trim and turbine size is bs. they are all basically the same exact same in the spec side for a t3/t4. I spent a ton of time looking at turbo maps, figuring out my VE, all this extended work to get the perfect turbo map and then started looking at chinese turbos under the specs i needed.... it was a monster fucking waste of time as they are all the same even though they claim this size or that. at that point, i just picked the best looking kit with shit i know would be hard to get separate (like weld on flanges for the exhaust side) and bought it.

mine a 2.5L v6, your 2.3 should damn near use the same thing as mine. if you go through my build thread, Zack, you will find the intercooler, turbo kit, and other bull shit i bought for the turbo setup that is currently just sitting on a rack collecting dust.

Reactions: TotalPozerRaceing
Nov 9, 2008
Carolina South
i will say this much about the chinese turbos, all the specs they list about trim and turbine size is bs. they are all basically the same exact same in the spec side for a t3/t4. I spent a ton of time looking at turbo maps, figuring out my VE, all this extended work to get the perfect turbo map and then started looking at chinese turbos under the specs i needed.... it was a monster fucking waste of time as they are all the same even though they claim this size or that. at that point, i just picked the best looking kit with shit i know would be hard to get separate (like weld on flanges for the exhaust side) and bought it.

mine a 2.5L v6, your 2.3 should damn near use the same thing as mine. if you go through my build thread, Zack, you will find the intercooler, turbo kit, and other bull shit i bought for the turbo setup that is currently just sitting on a rack collecting dust.
Thanks man I'll comb through your build!

Why's everything on the rack collecting dust?

84projectford

Sep 8, 2010
Phoenix Az
because i cant make up my mind on what one to do first. long travel or turbo kit. i went with long travel and when i start the engine cage, ill have a mock up motor in the frame that ill build turbo exhaust manifold off of and get the turbo set in place. ideally when i drop the front frame section in, i can bolt the turbo on and finish the rest like intercooler, down pipe, oil feed and drain (drain is already ready in the oil pan). this is all theory, im still a long ways away :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Turboyota

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds