The Houndrunner

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

Rowdy Fitz

Apr 16, 2021
Nevada
I unknowingly posted in the wrong thread and I was informed this is the correct location for this cluster of mistakes and wasted money. So here goes the documentation of my blatant ignorance and uncommonly superb stupidity.

I bought the truck last summer, for $500. The P.O. had swapped in a 4.0 from a 91 Explorer, but he couldn’t figure out the wiring. He resealed the engine, put in a new clutch and the X dash.
I finished the wiring, swapped over an air cleaner from a 92 ranger, installed an all aluminum rad, a new starter, swapped in a D35 and 31 spl 8.8. I just finished installing 4.56’s into the 8.8 and a Spartan. Still have to do the D35.

I plan to build a level 1 ish rig. Extended RA’s, possibly coil overs but good coils at the minimum, 64” leafs and quality shocks, is the plan. Oh and probably gonna end up building K-link steering.

I test fit a pair of XJ coils but they ended up being around 2” too short while compressed.

I also took a picture of how much the crappy steering affects the driver toe at full droop.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: mikey09120

Rowdy Fitz

Apr 16, 2021
Nevada
I’ve thought about C/T mine. I messaged a member on here, about a classified post for a entire front end, last week but never got a response. So I’ll probably end up doing mine this summer. I have a set of stock brackets, I would just need to remove them from my parts truck.

Rowdy Fitz

Apr 16, 2021
Nevada
Are there spring hangers that are preferred for a shackle flip on 64” leafs? I saw a post somewhere that the guy used a set of stock F-150 brackets because they’re like 2” longer, with a set of belltech shackles. The longer hanger will compensate for the loss of ride height with the shackle flip and extended shackles. I found a set on ebay for less than $70 with stock shackles and all the hardware. I could probably turn around and put the shackles for sale on The Ranger Station and make a little bit of that back.

Rowdy Fitz

Apr 16, 2021
Nevada
Brushed up on the 64” swap and rear hanger flip.

Last edited:
Reactions: Obaja

themoneypit

Jul 30, 2018
Missouri
For what you're doing, the Chevy 64 leaf pack is probably fine as-is, but travel is very limited. The pack is just two THICK almost flat springs plus an overload, so they basically don't droop at all. Fine for basic wheeling/load carrying uses though. It definitely wouldn't hurt to add some arch to them if you're worried about ride height after the shackle flip.

If you decide to chase the junkyard leaf setup rabbit later, you can always put together a bastard pack. I put together some packs from Chevy 64/Durango/XJ leafs that worked very well after some drilling/re-arching.

Reactions: Rowdy Fitz

Rowdy Fitz

Apr 16, 2021
Nevada
Incase anyone is interested in the full details of the project. I probably couldn’t have figured out the wiring if it wasn’t for the guys at TRS.

Rowdy Fitz

Apr 16, 2021
Nevada
For what you're doing, the Chevy 64 leaf pack is probably fine as-is, but travel is very limited. The pack is just two THICK almost flat springs plus an overload, so they basically don't droop at all. Fine for basic wheeling/load carrying uses though. It definitely wouldn't hurt to add some arch to them if you're worried about ride height after the shackle flip.

If you decide to chase the junkyard leaf setup rabbit later, you can always put together a bastard pack. I put together some packs from Chevy 64/Durango/XJ leafs that worked very well after some drilling/re-arching.
That makes sense, I built a bastard pack for my crawler years ago. I will look into re-arching them. If I can find someone in Reno that does it, I’ll probably go that route in the future. I think that increasing the amount of upward movement before they hit the bump stops will help me some. I anticipate I’ll have around a thousand extra lbs between my gear, the dogs and supplies. I may add a second fuel tank too. I have most everything to add a B-II tank. That would give me a total of 30 gal.

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds