I added a ground wire and it’s fixed most of my troubles. All the gauges but the fuel gauge work correctly and the headlights still only work on high beam when I pull the dimmer and hold it down. I ordered a new one, drove to town to pick it up and it didn’t come in. I’m gonna go dig around to see if I have a good used one to get me by until the new one is here.
It was a little warm yesterday so I waited until sun down to start working on it. Looked around for a multifunction switch but couldn’t find one. The new one should be in today.
I started beefing up the rear spring packs to handle the weight of my dogs and gear. Took a little longer than I anticipated. Got the passenger side done then started the driver side. Mosquitoes were pretty bad last night and I stopped working on it just before 10:00.
I figured I got around 1-1.5” of lift by adding 2 ranger leafs to the chevy leaf pack. I used the smallest and 2nd to largest leafs from the ranger leaf pack. I may pull the bed sides today and see how much clearance that adds. I cut up the sidewall of my brand new tires on the first trip because they were hitting the rear fenders.
I was out exercising my dogs yesterday, idling down a ditch bank when a lifter on the driver’s side decided to collapse. Pretty bummed about that. Drove it 20 min back home shut it off, let it sit a few minutes and then drove it to where I park it. It stopped tacking right as I parked it. Thinkin I might try putting some sea foam in the oil.
Well I figured out that the lifter wasn’t actually a lifter. It was a quart low on oil and it was sucking air. This makes me think that there’s a pin hole in the pick up tube. It had a valve cover leak that I fixed and it burns a little oil but has almost no blow by. I’m leaning more towards valve stem seals being bad since it’s a 1991 engine. I will probably pull the heads next year and get them rebuilt. But I want to pull the oil pan this year to check that oil pick up tube.