The Mammoth to Phelan 350

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

dose

Creepy Camper
Jan 4, 2018
Mammoth Lakes CA
The overheating wasn't a big deal at all, we stopped every 35-45 minutes anyway so somebody could pee, grab something from the cooler or check out a site anyway. Topped of the turboyota with water and we were good to go.
I really enjoyed watching the other vehicles in front of me or in the mirrors since we kept changing leads.

Do Dahs 4 runner was killing it and I had to drive hard just to keep up with him, If he was behind me we would call out large hits on the radio and then watch in my mirror him smashing though it with ease.

The turboyota ghosted us if he was in front but when he followed Ryan usually drove 5-10' behind me. On the windy roads was awesome to watch him toss the truck around like a dog wagging its tail. Equally entertaining to watch his 8' wide truck mowing down the bushes in the tight sections.

The 11 bug was the best!!! James was straight getting it. All 93" of wheelbase pitching it into corners full tilt on the rpms like a fat kid on a 125.
People underestimate bugs and he has no problems keeping up. James and Brandi get the Ironman/Ironwoman award for this trip.

dose

Creepy Camper
Jan 4, 2018
Mammoth Lakes CA
i love that warm spring. was just talking about putting together a trip to sit in it.
The warm spring was awesome but getting to and from it were my least favorite parts of the trip.
The rocky road to the north and the silt to the south equally sucked, Ill still be going back though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Turboyota

hxckidd

Clean-Dezert.org
Feb 14, 2002
so cal
www.clean-dezert.org
The warm spring was awesome but getting to and from it were my least favorite parts of the trip.
The rocky road to the north and the silt to the south equally sucked, Ill still be going back though.
i loved the silt to the south... now the silt to the north is insane... we went through in feb and all the silt was hard as a rock, but made me realize some of those big holes are huge... at one point the dirt was level with my side windows while we were in a silt hole... now i am a bit scared to do it again. lol

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds